[JPL] WWSP music report wek of 5/1/11 - 5/8/11

Russell Haines russjazzworld at gmail.com
Sun May 8 12:06:44 EDT 2011

*WWSP  JAZZ / WORLD / PLUS    Report for week of   5/1/11 – 5/8/11*

*WWSP 90fm*

*University of Wisconsin Stevens Point*

*30,000 Watts*

* *

*Russ Haines
*

*Jazz/World Music Director*

*WWSP 90fm*

*1608 Reserve Street*

*Stevens Point, WI. 54481*

*PLEASE USE E-MAIL FOR CONTACTING ME*

*russjazzworld at gmail.com* <russjazzworld at gmail.com>**

* *

*4 or more spins*

* *

6 Ambrose Akinmusire – When the Heart Emerges Glistening – Blue Note

6 Ben Allison – Action-Refraction - Palmetto

5 Karrin Allyson – ‘Round Midnight – Concord

6 Bill Anschell – Figments - Origin

6 Jaki Bayard – A Matter of Black & White - HighNote

5 Larry Coryell w/The Wide Hive Players – Self Titled – Wide Hive

4 Ernest Dawkins New Horizons Ensemble – The Prairie Prophet - Delmark

6 Eldar  Djangirov – Three Stories/Solo Piano – Sony/Masterworks Jazz

6 Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band – That’s How We Roll – Telarc Jazz

4 Darius Jones & Matthew Shipp – Cosmic Lieder – Aum Fidelity

4 Steve Khan – Parting Shot – Shrapnel Records

5 David Leonhardt Jazz Group – Plays Cole Porter – Big Bang Records

5 Delfayo Marsalis – Sweet Thunder – Troubador Records

6 Irvin Mayfield – A Love Letter to New Orleans – Basin Street

6 Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis – Here We Go Again – Blue Note

5 New Tricks – Alternate Side – New Tricks

6 Debbie Poryes & Bruce Williamson – Two & Fro – OA2

5 Phil Ranelin/Henry Franklin/Big Black – Perseverance – Wide Hive

5 Rufus Reid & Out Front – Hues of a Different Blue - Motema

6 Rebirth Brass Band – Rebirth of New Orleans – Basin Street

5 Avery Sharpe – Running Man – JKNM Records

5 Liam Sillery – Priorite’ – OA2

5 Alex Skolnick Trio – Veritas –Palmetto

6 Tommy Smith – Karma – Spartacus Records

6 Terrell Stafford – This Side of Strayhorn – Max Jazz

6 Storms/Nocturnes – VIA - Origin

4 Marcin Wasilewski Trio – Faithful - ECM

6 Mort Weiss – Meets Bill Cunliffe – SMS Jazz

6 Jessica Williams Trio – Freedom Trane – Origin

6 Anthony Wilson – Campo Belo - Goat Hill Records**

* *

*2 – 3 spins *

* *

2 Nasar Abadey & Supernova – Diamond In The Rough – Takbir Music

3 Augmented Reality – Self Titled – Daywood Drive Records

3 Sheryl Bailey 4 – For All Those Living – PureMusic Records

3 Ketil Bjornstad/Svante Henryson – Night Song - ECM

3 Terence Brewer – Setting the Standard Vol. One – Strong Brew Music

2 Marcie Brown – Reflections Over Brandy – Self produced

3 George Cole Quintet – Riverside Drive – Oceanview Records

2 N. Glenn Davis Trio – What Could Be – Speak Jazz Records

3 ‘Papa’ John De Francesco – A Philadelphia Story - Savant

3 Benoit Delbecq Trio – The Sixth Jump – Songlines

2 Carlos De Rosa’s Cross-Fade – Brain Dance Cuneiform

3 Al Di Meola – Pursuit of Radical Rhapsody – Telarc

3 Benjamin Drazen – Inner Flights - Positone

3 Mathias Eick – Skala - ECM

3 John Esposito – Orisha - Sunjump

3 Orrin Evans – Captain Black Big Band - Positone

3 James Farm – self-titled - Nonesuch

2 Five Play Jazz Quintet – Five of Hearts - Auraline

3 Iro Haarla Quintet – Vespers – ECM

2 Noah Haidu – Slipsteam - Positone

3 Lisa Hilton – Underground – Ruby Slippers Productions

3 Julia Hulsmann Trio – Imprint - ECM

3 Robert Hurst – Unrehurst Vol. 2 – Bebob Records

2 Melvin Jones – Pivot – Turnaround Records

3 Klang – Other Doors – Allos Documents

3 Dave Le Febvre – From Soul to Soul – Self produced

3 Les Chauds Lapins – Amourettes – Barbes Records

2 Steven Lugerner Septet – Narratives – Self produced

2 Jesse Marquez – All I See is Sky – Carena Records

3 Andrew McCormack /Jason Yarde – MY Duo – Joy & Ears

3* *Soren Moller – Christian X Variations – Audial Records

2 Native Soul – Soul Step – Talking Drums Records

3 Matt Panayides – Tapestries of Song – Pacific Coast Jazz

3 Gretchen Parlato – The Lost & Found - Obliqsound

2 Reynold Philipsek – Tales from the North Woods – Rephi Records

2 Korey Riker – Prehumous – Riker’s Island Records

3 Jason Robinson - The Two Faces of Janus - Cuneiform

3 Mike Rood – The Desert & The City – Self produced

3 Sean Smith Quartet – Trust – Smithereen Records

2 Dave Sterner Quintet – Sidetracked – Speak Jazz Records

3 Sultans of String – Yalla Yalla - MCK

2 Tempest Little Big Band – Round Midnight – Tempest Jazz

3 Tiempo Libre – My Secret Radio - Masterworks

3 John Vanore & Abstract Truth – Contagious Words -

3 Torben Waldorff – American Rock Beauty – ArtistShare

3 Walt Weiskopf  Quartet – Live – Capri Records

3 Ron Westray/Thomas Heflin – Live From Austin – Blue Canoe Records

2 Andrea Wood – dhyana – Wood Records

* *

*JAZZ ADDS WEEK OF 5/8/11*

*Ray Brown’s Great Big Band – Kayak – Brown Cats Productions*

*Seth Ford-Young – Self-titled – Porto Franco Records*

*Gaucho – Pearl – Porto Franco Records*

*Benny Green – Source - JLP*

*Dave Grusin – An Evening With… -  Heads Up*

*He Said, She Said – Duets For Two Voices – Vocoloco Records*

*Sean Jones – No Need For Words – Mack Ave.*

*Nelson Matta & Roni Ben-Hur – Mojave - Motema*

*Susie Meissner – I’m Confessin’ – Lydian Jazz*

*Jean-Michel Pilc – Essential - Motema*

*Colin Vallon Trio – Rruga - ECM*

*Billy White – First Things First – Porto Franco Records*

* *

*** REISSUES***

* *

*Deodato – Prelude - CTI*

3 Jim Hall – Concierto – CTI

3 John Surman – Flashpoint – Cuneiform

5 Various – Jazz Roots/ The Music of the Americas – Sony/Masterworks Jazz

* *

*W = WORLD          *** Add this week*

* *

*W *4 Azam Ali – From Night to the Edge of Day – Six Degrees

*W *4 Bombino – Agadez - Cumbancha

**** Sergent Garcia – Una y Otra Vez - Cumbancha*

**** Jolly Boys – Great Expectation – eone/GEEJAM *

*W *5 Karsh Kale – Cinema – Six Degrees**

*W *5 Katchie & Le Monde Cache’ – Tales & Tongues - HCW**

*W *4 Femi Kuti – Africa for Africa – Knitting Factory Records

*W *5 Katchafire – On the Road Again – Ohana Records* *

*W *5 Ladysmith Black Mambazo – Songs From a Zulu Farm – Listen 2

*W *5 Orcheste Poly-Rythmo – Cotonou Club – Strut Records

**** Pena – Vol. 1 – Secret Stash*

**** Pena – Vol .2 – Secret Stash*

**** Pena -  Vol. 3 – Secret Stash*

*W* 5 Bianca Rossini - Kiss of Brasil – BDM Records

**** Loga Ramin Torkian – Mehraab – Terrestial Lane*

*W *5 Various – Rumba, Mambo, Cha Cha Cha - Putumayo

*W *4* *Various – Yoga – Putumayo

* *

*PLUS  =  Music that fits multiple formats at WWSP*

2 Elaine Amherd – Now & From Now On – ELI 2

4 Bohemian Quartet – Beyond Tradition – Self produced

5 Club d’Elf – Electric Moroccoland – Face Pelt

5 Echocentrics – Sunshadows - Ubiquity

3 Gutbucket – Flock – Cuneiform

3 Marilyn Harris – Orphans – Wrightwood Records

4 Robin Holcomb/Wayne Horvitz – The Point of It All – Songlines

4 Katherine Jenkins – Believe – Reprise

*** *Booker T. Jones – The Road From Memphis – ANTI-*

4 Mitch Kessler – Der Erlkonig - Sunjump

3 Steve Krause – Broke Down Beautiful – Self produced

3 Led Bib – Bring Your Own – Cuneiform

4 Sergio Mendes – Celebration – Emarcy/Verve

3 Michael J. Miles -  Col.age – Right Turn On Red Music

2 TJ Nix & Paul Plumeri – Blues in Diguise – Poolhouse Records

*** *Aaron Novik – Floating World Vol. 1 – Porto Franco Records*

2 Planeta Imaginario – Optical Delusions – Cuneiform

2 Fabrio Poggi & Chicken Mambo – Spirit & Freedom – Ultra Sound Records

2 Don Rosler – Rosler’s Recording Booth – Fingers Crossed Records

2 AZ Kenny Tsak & 56 Deluxe Like We Do! Self produced

2 Anna Wilson & Friends – Countrypolitan Duets – Music World Music

*** *Gabby Young & Other Animals – We’re All In This Together – Gift of the
Gab Records*

* *

*The** next add date for WWSP is 5/15/11.  I will have space for 15 Jazz
discs. I review and add discs in the order in which they are received. All
discs chart for 7 – 8 weeks and then move to recurrent. This is to keep up
with the quantity of quality music that we receive. Thanks for your support
of WWSP 90fm.*

*  Russ*

Russ Haines
Jazz/World Music Director