[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Billy Harper, Anthony Wilson & Slumgum's Jon Armstrong!

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon May 9 10:45:10 EDT 2011

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at
http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/110509_tjs_newsletter.pdf

...or read the text below:

(MAY 9, 2011) FINAL COUNTDOWN!

Goal: 100 members by the 300th show
Current members: 32
Members needed: 68
Shows left until TJS #300: 35

Thanks to new member Bob Sharkey.

I've seen a ton of good music recently. At the Village Vanguard, I saw
Guillermo Klein and Los Guachos. I overheard someone say, "Guillermo can
really write his ass off, can't he?" The answer is an emphatic "yes!"

I went twice last week to see Gretchen Parlato in her three-night run at
Jazz Standard. She was there for the release of her new CD, The Lost And
Found, which is brilliant. Gretchen will be on an upcoming episode of
the show.

I also heard one of my faves, Fay Victor, as she unveiled a new trio
with Oscar Noriega and Satoshi Takeshi, and it was great. Later that
same night, I saw (finally!) the very thoughtful singer Andrea Wolper.
Photos are here:
http://tinyurl.com/3beafu7

The next night I went to Littlefield in Brooklyn to see a double bill
with the Dan Weiss Trio and Endangered Blood. Both bands blew me away.
Look for them on future episodes. In the meantime, here are the photos:
http://tinyurl.com/3tdlscg

Finally, I've started taking a series of photos in various locations of
a small Buddha statue.
http://tinyurl.com/42k4aa8

Please note that during the month of May I'll be posting three shows
each week.

Next week on the show: George Cables (TJS #268, Monday), TK Blue (TJS
#269, Wednesday) and Victor Prieto (TJS #270, Friday).

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #265: Billy Harper. Saxophonist Billy Harper appears on Cast The
First Stone, the latest CD from The Cookers. In this interview, part of
The Jazz Session’s “Cookers Mondays” series, Harper talks about his
involvement with the band; recounts the story of his first night in NYC
in the late 1960s; and tells about how persistence paid off when it came
to sitting in with one of the most famous drummers of all time. SHOW
AVAILABLE NOW.

TJS #266: Anthony Wilson. Guitarist Anthony Wilson's new CD is Campo
Bello. In this interview, Wilson talks about his travels to Brazil and a
new piece he was commissioned to write to be played on four custom
guitars. SHOW AVAILABLE STARTING 5/11/11.

TJS #267: Slumgum's Jon Armstrong. Slumgum's new CD is Quardboard
Flavored Fiber. In this interview, Armstrong talks about the origin of
the band and its diverse influences, and we both survive getting kicked
out of our interview space. SHOW AVAILABLE STARTING 5/13/11.

*********************************
--
Jason Crane
The Jazz Session