[JPL] PLAYLIST: Swing! - "Swing Into Spring" (soulandjazz.com)

Jazzevangelist scott at soulandjazz.com
Tue May 10 19:41:06 EDT 2011

Soulandjazz.com Presents:
Swing!
Episode 7 – Swing Into Spring

Spring has already sprung, so this theme may be a little late – but before we slip into summer I thought it might be nice if we ‘Swing Into Spring’ with a long awaited episode of my monthly show covering the first half of the Jazz Continuum called ‘Swing!’

Here it is – you used to have to attend a live ballroom performance or sit in front of a huge Victrola or wireless radio to listen to this kind of music . . . now you just click a button and listen wherever you want:  :-)
http://www.soulandjazz.com/category/swing/episode-7-swing-into-spring/

We start off with a fly over by the US Air Force Airmen of Note performing this episode’s title tune. We then travel back to the roaring 20’s to celebrate spring with Rube Bloom & The Piccadilly Players before jumping into the 30’s with Art Tatum, Chick Webb & His Orchestra (featuring Ella Fitzgerald when she was just 19 years old), Fats Waller & His Rhythm, Benny Goodman, the Sam Samson Orchestra from Sweden, Louis Armstrong, Hubert Rostraing (featuring Django Reinhardt), Les Brown, the Count Basie Orchestra, and Coleman Hawkins. We end with some brand new swing from the Tempest Little Big Band out of Atlanta, Ga featuring Joe Gransden.

The swing era was born during the great depression and flourished during World War II – and the music was often created in an attempt to lift people’s spirits and make them dance. The songs pertaining to spring are particularly positive, providing a great deal of hope and encouragement 60+ years ago and I’m pretty sure they can still have the same effect today. So, turn up the Victrola or gather the family around the wireless…and let’s Swing!

PLAYLIST: Swing!

Episode 7 – “Swing Into Spring”

Artist – Track – Album – Year

US Air Force Airmen of Note - Swing Into Spring - On The Air - 2009

Rube Bloom - Spring Fever - Duo-Art Piano Roll - 1928

The Piccadilly Players - Sunny Skies - Spring Into Easter: 1920’s Hits - 1928

Art Tatum - Get Happy - Art Tatum’s Finest Hour - 1935

Chick Webb & His Orchestra (feat. Ella Fitzgerald) - I Got The Spring Fever Blues - 78 rpm single recording - 1936

Fats Waller & His Rhythm - Spring Cleaning - Old Plantation, Vol. 1 - 1937

Benny Goodman - Sunny Disposish - The Essential Benny Goodman - 1937

Sam Samson Orchestra - Swing In The Spring - Rytm Och Swing: Swedish Jazz History, Vol 3 - 1938

Louis Armstrong - On The Sunny Side of the Street - The Best of Louis Armstrong, Vol. 1 - 1943

Hubert Rostraing (feat. Django Reinhardt) - Swingtime In Springtime -
Souvenirs de Django Reinhardt  - 1947

Les Brown - April Showers - Les Brown & His Orchestra, Vol 2 - 1949

Ella Fitzgerald - Blue Skies - Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Irving Berlin Song Book - 1958

Count Basie Orchestra - April In Paris - April In Paris - 1956

Coleman Hawkins - Spring’s Swing - Jam Session In Swingville - 1961

Tempest Little Big Band (feat. Joe Gransden) - I’ll Remember April - Round Midnight -   2011