[JPL] Too Much Product?

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Fri May 13 11:53:07 EDT 2011

I think sometimes the labels save some money by sending things out in one large package rather than one at a time and it may be a financial as well as logistical issue.  That being said, it would probably be good for them to know a bit more about our process.

Setting aside time to do serious listening is tough what with all the other stuff I have to do for two services (programming, presenting, marketing, sales, tech-related stuff, etc) it just isn't easy to set the time aside and once you do "ear fatigue" is a factor and that doesn't do anyone any good.  I can't stop and start as tasks must be prioritized and completed one after another, and unfortunately listening to new music, probably the most important one, doesn't always get the "front-burner" status it deserves. It's just a matter of physical time.

I want to give everything an honest listen but when deadlines are looming, phones are ringing, emails are popping up, invitations are extended and must be responded to, and with the fact that dozens of new projects come in the mail (and I'm not receiving everything) the chips just have to fall where they may sometimes.  That's the problem with being a one-man-show too.  I can't afford a staff, interns come and go and once they learn then leave plus they can't do the listening anyway, that's MY job.

I was talking to someone yesterday about the first radio station I worked at where there were about 40 people on staff...I now do all the things those 40 people did all alone.

Hey...could be worse...I could be digging ditches for a living!

Russ Davis
MOJA & VOA
www.mojaradio.com
russ at mojaradio.com