[JPL] Too Much Product?

jaythomasjazz at aol.com jaythomasjazz at aol.com
Fri May 13 12:47:51 EDT 2011

 This is a very old but perennial thread!

I think it is just business. I think if one wanted to " break thru" it would be wise to bring force to bear in a focused way. Or as it was once said " never fight a land war in China". so sending many things out makes it cheaper for the

company/packager to get it out and noticed....but as has been said it is a scatter-gun approach.

Today it is a little weird also in that there is so much music being put out and so few jazz clubs and touring bands. As a result there is very little real human support for much of the music....kind of a " how many angels can dance...."

I remember when vanity album was a slight....now they are all vanity albums from a purely CD sales business standpoint....they are actually very expensive calling cards. However the name of the game is still name recognition so without

a CD an artist can't even begin to go after gigs!

I went out last night and heard Denis Donatelli with Geoffrey Keezer and Jon Wikan....I could not figure out why the place was not crawling with musicians....it was absolutely stellar on every level. I think the answer to a lot of these

problems is many layers back from the actual conversations we usually have.

sincerely Jay Thomas