[JPL] Too Much Product?

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Fri May 13 13:03:07 EDT 2011

In fact I know a couple of Vancouver musicians who drove to Seattle to hear
her (and I was tempted myself!) - the jazz scene in Vancouver is just the
opposite I think, I could go out to hear jazz every night of the week (if I
didn't have young kids) - I've often made the argument here before (without
much reaction) that supporting the local scene is the best way of raising
interest in the music and increasing listenership.  So that affects the
priority of what I play too ... N

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 9:47 AM, <jaythomasjazz at aol.com> wrote:

>  This is a very old but perennial thread!
>
> I think it is just business. I think if one wanted to " break thru" it
> would be wise to bring force to bear in a focused way. Or as it was once
> said " never fight a land war in China". so sending many things out makes it
> cheaper for the
>
> company/packager to get it out and noticed....but as has been said it is a
> scatter-gun approach.
>
> Today it is a little weird also in that there is so much music being put
> out and so few jazz clubs and touring bands. As a result there is very
> little real human support for much of the music....kind of a " how many
> angels can dance...."
>
> I remember when vanity album was a slight....now they are all vanity albums
> from a purely CD sales business standpoint....they are actually very
> expensive calling cards. However the name of the game is still name
> recognition so without
>
> a CD an artist can't even begin to go after gigs!
>
> I went out last night and heard Denis Donatelli with Geoffrey Keezer and
> Jon Wikan....I could not figure out why the place was not crawling with
> musicians....it was absolutely stellar on every level. I think the answer to
> a lot of these
>
> problems is many layers back from the actual conversations we usually have.
>
> sincerely Jay Thomas

====
Nou Dadoun