[JPL] Too Much Product? READ THIS

onthebeach at aol.com onthebeach at aol.com
Fri May 13 14:09:29 EDT 2011

folks--no need to get spun over this (pun intended).  the jazz radio universe no longer compromises enough spins to make a significant difference.

         there once was a time when that was the case.   and at that time stations banged great albums that were deep with cuts for as much as six months.

         an examination of the US sales of the Top 50 most played jazz records would be VERY sobering.   and you wonder why promoters complain were not

         creating jazz stars anymore?  why live venues are suffering?

         jazz is suffering from the "museum syndrome".  many people in the general public view jazz as a historical artform, not a particularly current one.

         when someone puts together a mix and a format that truly supports current jazz (and utilizes classics as a liberal spice--perhaps making connections listeners

         can get without being talked down to)  we may experience the next surge in jazz popularity.

         ive suggested for decades that jazz can reach larger audiences if it is mixed with other genres.  reference the linda yohn thread about refreshing & expanding the

         audience.  jazz suffers because too many stations are almost "jazz oldies" formatted.  ive presented research and in depth facts at numerous conventions over the years

         specifically addressing the amount of exposure necessary to trigger a purchase.  break down the numbers: look at your audience by daypart and listening habits, and figure out how many

         of your listeners hear a record you play 3-5 times per week for say 8 to 10 weeks. how many times do they hear that one?  and you wonder why sales are anemic?

         there will always be a gap between radio & record folks--they have different goals.  but building new STARS benefits everyone and the artform itself.

         until such time as radio folks understand and admit that spinning something 2-3 times per week amounts to a very small favor to an act or a promoter, with little or no impact

         we will continue having this conversation until the expiration date on terrestrial jazz radio.  which, sadly is closer than you think.

         until such time as jazz radio acknowledges it plays far too much music that is NOT excellent, it will never understand why it isnt attracting new audience.   until many in jazz radio embrace

         doing great radio (that happens to feature jazz) things will remain much as they are.  too many stations suffer from a lack of professionalism.  and while i dont mean to offend the most syndicated

         jazz host, he's not contributing to professionalism by saying "um, let me look at the liner notes....that was...."

         not enough jazz PDs direct their staff, correct the, coach them, encourage them to raise their game.   not enough MDs insist on playing ONLY excellent music.  as for the current thread,

         youre going to spread around your airplay to be "fair" to labels and promoters?!  how foolish!  dont you have a responsibility to your audience to make EVERY selection you present count?

        to make every offering the BEST it can be?  too many incorrectly pronounced names.  i heard a host say Jobim's Stone Flower was recorded in 1990! etc etc etc.

        i love and respect MANY of you and have known many of you for decades--but lets face facts:  on the whole jazz radio is tired.  lets speak the truth to one another.  time to stop fiddling

        like a bunch of Neros.  we are in CRISIS y'all!  grow your footprint!  get an APP!  create multiple HD streams!  GET READY:  HD radio is about to show up in a very large way on mobile platforms

        large and small.  HD has sizzle, its sexy....its...the...future!

        all of that said--time for a shameless plug:  at Midnight Tonight on KSDS/San Diego and on the web streaming at www.jazz88.org i make my return to the airwaves (gasp! can it really be 34 years?)

        yes, bubba jackson and on were at 100,000 watt KADX-FM/Denver back in the day.

        on KSDS "Tapestry" will be a blend of multi genre, multi-culti grooves that falls into the beyond jazz realm: funk/fusion/worldbeats/electronica/dub.  my goal is that it will be entertaining and fun to listen

        to on a saturday night.

ricky schultz
www.jazzconsultant.com
"What can we do for you?"