[JPL] Too Much Product? READ THIS

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 16:16:09 EDT 2011

Ricky,

There are programmers doing this. Not many but there are some. Linda's question
a while ago was a good one but it's not something some people aren't dealing
with already. One problem is that you have favorites on this list. There seems
to be only a few voices listened to. For example...how many jazz programs raise
more money than top NPR news programs...All Things Considered and Morning
Edition... during the fundraisers? Not many but my show is one of them and I've
done it for the past several years. Only a couple on this list have asked how I
do it. That's it. Other stations have...so much so that I've decided to start
consulting later in the year. but not the ones on this list basically. The music
actually... is only a small part of the reason for this success but it starts
there and it's all about the balancing. I've said before it's really more about
the personality and your method of fundraising and how you sell what you're
doing. If we don't have successful fundraisers we're not going to have jazz on
the radio.

You talk about the demise of "terrestrial" radio. I don't think it will come to
that but it will have to adjust like everything else is around it. You have to
keep giving people a reason to listen and it will involve more than simply
playing the music. I've also said all along that we can mix up jazz...play
swing...play beats...etc...but the bottom line with jazz by today's
cultural conditioning is that folks simply are having a difficult time
getting jazz...in the numbers needed to make it vital to a point where people
are buying it or coming to see live jazz or listening to it on the radio. This
is a "musical" problem that is a lot more complicated to fix but it can be done.

You talk about "stars"...I agree with you here but it's now just about
impossible for these stars to be created based on the way things are today. It's
a very complex issue but it starts with how listeners are interpreting what
they're hearing. For starters...the sound isn't in the ears long enough to breed
familiarity. That was one of my initial points and one you made. Today, ears are
so far removed from what jazz sounds like that it's almost now weird or
"old" sounding when people hear it. Sort of like what you imply...a relic. The
core problems still lie in the improvisation and rhythm. People don't get it and
they're less patient in wanting to get it. We have to give them a reason to want
to get it. That jazz is really worth a shit and it's going to take more then
just playing certain styles.

Jae Sinnett