[JPL] Playlist-Jazz with George Thomas with Stevie Wonder for Friday, 05/13/11

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Sat May 14 00:18:35 EDT 2011

Jazz with George Thomas with Stevie Wonder for Friday, 05/13/11

We celebrate the birthday of songwriter & performer Stevie Wonder, whose
songs are popular with jazz vocalists and instrumentalists. Vocalist
Nnenna Freelon does a version of Wonder's "Overjoyed." We also celebrate
jazz on VPR with listener support during our May Membership Drive - call
800-639-6391 or pledge at VPR.net. Thanks.

Playlist

10:00pm
Overjoyed
Artist Name 	Nnenna Freelon
Composer 	Stevie Wonder
Soloists 	Nnenna Freelon-Vocals
CD/Album 	Tales Of Wonder
Record co./Cat # 	Concord Jazz 2107-2
Release Year 	2002
Note 	Birthday: Stevie Wonder 5.13.1950

10:05pm
Overjoyed
Artist Name 	Danilo Perez
Composer 	Stevie Wonder
Soloists 	Danilo Perez-Piano ; Ben Street-Bass ; Adam Cruz-Drums
CD/Album 	...Till Then
Record co./Cat # 	Verve B0000286-02
Release Year 	2003
Note 	Birthday: Stevie Wonder 5.13.1950

10:10pm
Signed, Sealed, Delivered
Artist Name 	Steve Bernstein's Millennial Territory Orchestra
Composer 	Stevie Wonder
Soloists 	Steven Bernstein-Slide Trumpet ; Doug Wamble-Guitar, Vocal
CD/Album 	MTO Volume 1
Record co./Cat # 	Sunnyside 1158
Release Year 	2006
Note 	Birthday: Stevie Wonder 5.13.1950

10:22pm
Easy Going Evening (My Mama's Call)
Artist Name 	Steve Wilson
Composer 	Stevie Wonder
Soloists 	Steve Wilson-Alto Sax ; Bruce Barth-Piano
CD/Album 	Soulful Song
Record co./Cat # 	MaxJazz 401
Release Year 	2003
Note 	Birthday: Stevie Wonder 5.13.1950

10:29pm
Blue 'N Boogie
Artist Name 	Dizzy Gillespie All-Star Big Band
Composer 	Dizzy Gillespie-Frank Paparelli
Soloists 	Roberta Gamborini-Vocals ; James Moody-Vocals ; Roy
Hargrove-Trumpet
CD/Album 	Dizzy's Business
Record co./Cat # 	Manchester Craftsmen's Guild Jazz 1023
Release Year 	2006

10:36pm
La Puerta
Artist Name 	Roy Hargrove Big Band
Composer 	Luis Demetrio
Soloists 	Roberta Gamborini-Vocals
CD/Album 	Emergence
Record co./Cat # 	EmArcy B0013289-02
Release Year 	2009

10:42pm
Moody's Groove
Artist Name 	The James Moody and Hank Jones Quartet
Composer 	Jimmy Heath
Soloists 	Roberta Gamborini-Vocals ; James Moody-Alto Sax ; Hank Jones-Piano
CD/Album 	Our Delight
Record co./Cat # 	IPO Recordings 1013
Release Year 	2008

10:47pm
Freight Train
Artist Name 	Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane
Composer 	Tommy Flanagan
Soloists 	Kenny Burrell-Guitar ; John Coltrane-Tenor Sax
CD/Album 	Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane
Record co./Cat # 	New Jazz 8107-2
Release Year 	1958

10:54pm
Only Trust Your Heart
Artist Name 	Roberta Gambarini
Composer 	Benny Carter, Sammy Cahn
Soloists 	Roberta Gambarini-Vocals ; Gerald Clayton-Piano
CD/Album 	Easy To Love
Record co./Cat # 	Kindred Rhythm / Groovin' High 1122
Release Year 	2006

11:02pm
Please Mr. Jackson
Artist Name 	Willis Jackson Quintet featuring Jack McDuff
Composer 	McDuff, Jackson
Soloists 	Willis Jackson-Tenor Sax ; Jack McDuff-Hammond B3 organ
CD/Album 	Legends Of Acid Jazz - Hammond Heroes
Record co./Cat # 	Prestige 24196-2
Release Year 	1959

11:08pm
Where Or When
Artist Name 	Antonio Hart
Composer 	Rodgers & Hart
Soloists 	Antonio Hart-Alto Sax ; Mulgrew Miller-Piano
CD/Album 	For The First Time
Record co./Cat # 	Novus 3120-2
Release Year 	1991

11:15pm
Solar
Artist Name 	Lee Konitz, Brad Mehldau, Charlie Haden, Paul Motian
Composer 	Miles Davis
Soloists 	Lee Konitz-Alto Sax ; Brad Mehldau-Piano ; Charlie Haden-Bass ;
Paul Motian-Drums
CD/Album 	Live At Birdland
Record co./Cat # 	ECM 2162
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

11:30pm
Laventos
Artist Name 	Nilson Matta & Roni Ben-Hur
Composer 	Pixinguinha, Imaos
Soloists 	Roni Ben-Hur-Guitar ; Nilson Matta-Bass
CD/Album 	Mojave
Record co./Cat # 	Motema Music 64
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

11:36pm
Track A-Solo Dancer
Artist Name 	Charles Mingus
Composer 	Charles Mingus
Soloists 	Charles Mingus-Bass ; Jerome Richardson-Soprano Sax ; Jaki
Byard-Piano
CD/Album 	The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady
Record co./Cat # 	Impulse! 174
Release Year 	1963

11:43pm
Cleo's Mood
Artist Name 	Don Byron
Composer 	De Watt, Fuqua, Woods
CD/Album 	Do The Boomerang
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Note Records 41094 2
Release Year 	2006

11:48pm
'Round Midnight
Artist Name 	Karrin Allyson
Composer 	Thelonious Monk, Cootie Williams
Soloists 	Karrin Allyson-Vocals
CD/Album 	'Round Midnight
Record co./Cat # 	Concord Jazz 32662-02
Release Year 	2011