[JPL] Too Much Product?

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Sat May 14 11:40:24 EDT 2011

It's cool John and as you know I also perform this music so with me the craft is
front and center...but as I said radio is a tricky business. My entire point was
simply about not having enough time to play ALL the great product. Radio is
inundated with CD's as you might guess. I understand why you're doing what you
are with the label and the releases. What happens though...at least in our
case....when we get tons of great product it reduces the spin counts on those
releases because we're trying to play as much as we can. As a result this
doesn't give the artists much of a chance to develop their name. In fact...for
me...I'm playing more new releases then ever before. For a long time it was
about 60% new...40% older. Now it's about 80% to 20%. Four to seven minutes of
airtime once or twice a week may not thrill some record reps but that's the
result of having too many great tasting cookies in the jar. We are still
confronted in radio with what we are confronted on stage...unfortunately too
often...the constant request to play the familiar. There are many listeners that
just can't get past embracing sounds they're not familiar with and radio
is forced to have to give in to this to a degree...to maintain financial
support. As I said in an earlier post we need successful fundraisers to keep
jazz on the radio. Keep up the great work.

Jae Sinnett