[JPL] WWSP music report week of 5/8/11 - 5/15/11

Russell Haines russjazzworld at gmail.com
Sat May 14 16:33:03 EDT 2011

*WWSP  JAZZ / WORLD / PLUS    Report for week of   5/8/11 – 5/15/11*

*WWSP 90fm*

*University of Wisconsin Stevens Point*

*30,000 Watts*

* *

*Russ Haines
*

*Jazz/World Music Director*

*WWSP 90fm*

*1608 Reserve Street*

*Stevens Point, WI. 54481*

*PLEASE USE E-MAIL FOR CONTACTING ME*

*russjazzworld at gmail.com* <russjazzworld at gmail.com>**

* *

*4 or more spins*

* *

5 Ambrose Akinmusire – When the Heart Emerges Glistening – Blue Note

5 Ben Allison – Action-Refraction - Palmetto

5 Karrin Allyson – ‘Round Midnight – Concord

6 Bill Anschell – Figments - Origin

6 Jaki Bayard – A Matter of Black & White - HighNote

4 Ernest Dawkins New Horizons Ensemble – The Prairie Prophet - Delmark

5 Eldar  Djangirov – Three Stories/Solo Piano – Sony/Masterworks Jazz

6 Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band – That’s How We Roll – Telarc Jazz

6 Benny Green – Source - JLP

4 He Said, She Said – Duets for Two Voices – Vocoloco Records

4 Darius Jones & Matthew Shipp – Cosmic Lieder – Aum Fidelity

6 Sean Jones – No Need for Words – Mack Ave.

5 Steve Khan – Parting Shot – Shrapnel Records

5 David Leonhardt Jazz Group – Plays Cole Porter – Big Bang Records

5 Delfayo Marsalis – Sweet Thunder – Troubador Records

5 Nelson Matta & Roni Ben-Hur – Mojave - Motema

5 Irvin Mayfield – A Love Letter to New Orleans – Basin Street

6 Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis – Here We Go Again – Blue Note

5 Jean-Michel Pilc – Essential - Motema

5 Debbie Poryes & Bruce Williamson – Two & Fro – OA2

5 Rufus Reid & Out Front – Hues of a Different Blue - Motema

5 Rebirth Brass Band – Rebirth of New Orleans – Basin Street

5 Avery Sharpe – Running Man – JKNM Records

5 Liam Sillery – Priorite’ – OA2

5 Alex Skolnick Trio – Veritas –Palmetto

6 Tommy Smith – Karma – Spartacus Records

6 Terrell Stafford – This Side of Strayhorn – Max Jazz

6 Storms/Nocturnes – VIA - Origin

5 Colin Vallon Trio – Rruga - ECM

4 Marcin Wasilewski Trio – Faithful - ECM

6 Mort Weiss – Meets Bill Cunliffe – SMS Jazz

3 Billy White – First Things First – Porto Franco Records

6 Anthony Wilson – Campo Belo - Goat Hill Records**

* *

*2 – 3 spins *

* *

2 Nasar Abadey & Supernova – Diamond In The Rough – Takbir Music

3 Augmented Reality – Self Titled – Daywood Drive Records

3 Sheryl Bailey 4 – For All Those Living – PureMusic Records

3 Ketil Bjornstad/Svante Henryson – Night Song - ECM

3 Terence Brewer – Setting the Standard Vol. One – Strong Brew Music

2 Ray Brown’s Great Big Band – Kayak – Brown Cats Productions

3 George Cole Quintet – Riverside Drive – Oceanview Records

2 N. Glenn Davis Trio – What Could Be – Speak Jazz Records

3 ‘Papa’ John De Francesco – A Philadelphia Story - Savant

3 Benoit Delbecq Trio – The Sixth Jump – Songlines

3 Mathias Eick – Skala - ECM

3 John Esposito – Orisha - Sunjump

3 James Farm – self-titled - Nonesuch

3 Five Play Jazz Quintet – Five of Hearts - Auraline

3 Seth Ford-Young – Self-titled – Porto Franco Records

3 Gaucho – Pearl – Porto Franco Records

2 Dave Grusin – An Evening With… -  Heads Up

3 Iro Haarla Quintet – Vespers – ECM

3 Noah Haidu – Slipsteam - Positone

3 Lisa Hilton – Underground – Ruby Slippers Productions

3 Julia Hulsmann Trio – Imprint - ECM

3 Robert Hurst – Unrehurst Vol. 2 – Bebob Records

2 Melvin Jones – Pivot – Turnaround Records

3 Klang – Other Doors – Allos Documents

3 Dave Le Febvre – From Soul to Soul – Self produced

3 Les Chauds Lapins – Amourettes – Barbes Records

2 Steven Lugerner Septet – Narratives – Self produced

2 Susie Meissner – I’m Confessin’ – Lydian Jazz

3 Soren Moller – Christian X Variations – Audial Records

2 Native Soul – Soul Step – Talking Drums Records

3 Matt Panayides – Tapestries of Song – Pacific Coast Jazz

3 Gretchen Parlato – The Lost & Found - Obliqsound

2 Reynold Philipsek – Tales from the North Woods – Rephi Records

2 Korey Riker – Prehumous – Riker’s Island Records

3 Jason Robinson - The Two Faces of Janus - Cuneiform

3 Mike Rood – The Desert & the City – Self produced

2 Dave Sterner Quintet – Sidetracked – Speak Jazz Records

3 Sultans of String – Yalla Yalla - MCK

2 Tempest Little Big Band – Round Midnight – Tempest Jazz

3 Tiempo Libre – My Secret Radio - Masterworks

3 Torben Waldorff – American Rock Beauty – ArtistShare

3 Walt Weiskopf  Quartet – Live – Capri Records

3 Ron Westray/Thomas Heflin – Live From Austin – Blue Canoe Records

2 Andrea Wood – dhyana – Wood Records

* *

* *

*JAZZ ADDS WEEK OF 5/15/11*

*Eric Alexander – Don’t Follow the Crowd - HighNote*

*AsGuests – Universal Mind - Origin*

*John Brown Trio – Dancing With Duke – Brown Boulevard*

*Danjam Orchestra – Sudden Appearance – OA2 Records*

*Jared Gold – All Wrapped Up - Positone*

*Mr. Ho’s Orchestrotica – Third River Rangoon - Tiki*

*Etta Jones – The Way We Were - HighNote*

*Dave Juarez – Round Red Light – Positone*

*Konitz/Mehldau/Haden/Motian – Live At Birdland - ECM*

*Paula Lammers – Deep Purple Dreams – Nightingale Jazz*

*Alphonse Mouzon – Angel Face – Tenacious Records*

*John Stowell/Michael Zilber Quartet – Shot Through With Beauty – Origin*

*Tunnel Six - Lake Superior – OA2 Records*

*Roseanna Vitro – The Music of Randy Newman - Motema*

* *

*** REISSUES/COMPILATIONS***

* *

5 Deodato – Prelude - CTI

3 Jim Hall – Concierto – CTI

**** Various – Jazz - Putumayo*

5 Various – Jazz Roots/ The Music of the Americas – Sony/Masterworks Jazz

* *

*W = WORLD          *** Add this week*

* *

*W *4 Azam Ali – From Night to the Edge of Day – Six Degrees

*W *4 Bombino – Agadez - Cumbancha

*W *5 Sergent Garcia – Una y Otra Vez - Cumbancha**

*W *6* *Jolly Boys – Great Expectation – eone/GEEJAM* *

*W *5 Karsh Kale – Cinema – Six Degrees**

*W *5 Katchie & Le Monde Cache’ – Tales & Tongues - HCW**

*W *4 Femi Kuti – Africa for Africa – Knitting Factory Records

*W *4 Katchafire – On the Road Again – Ohana Records* *

*W *5 Orcheste Poly-Rythmo – Cotonou Club – Strut Records

*W *3 Pena – Vol. 1 – Secret Stash**

*W* 3 Pena – Vol .2 – Secret Stash

*W *3 Pena -  Vol. 3 – Secret Stash**

*W* 5 Bianca Rossini - Kiss of Brasil – BDM Records

*W *4 Loga Ramin Torkian – Mehraab – Terrestial Lane

*W *5 Various – Rumba, Mambo, Cha Cha Cha - Putumayo

*W *4* *Various – Yoga – Putumayo

* *

*PLUS  =  Music that fits multiple formats at WWSP*

2 Elaine Amherd – Now & From Now On – ELI 2

3 Bohemian Quartet – Beyond Tradition – Self produced

4 Echocentrics – Sunshadows - Ubiquity

4 Robin Holcomb/Wayne Horvitz – The Point of It All – Songlines

4 Katherine Jenkins – Believe – Reprise

6 Booker T. Jones – The Road From Memphis – ANTI-

4 Mitch Kessler – Der Erlkonig - Sunjump

3 Steve Krause – Broke Down Beautiful – Self produced

2 Michael J. Miles -  Col.age – Right Turn On Red Music

2 TJ Nix & Paul Plumeri – Blues in Diguise – Poolhouse Records

3 Aaron Novik – Floating World Vol. 1 – Porto Franco Records

*** *Pear – Extemp’ore – Self-produced*

2 Fabrio Poggi & Chicken Mambo – Spirit & Freedom – Ultra Sound Records

2 Don Rosler – Rosler’s Recording Booth – Fingers Crossed Records

2 AZ Kenny Tsak & 56 Deluxe Like We Do! Self produced

2 Anna Wilson & Friends – Countrypolitan Duets – Music World Music

4 Gabby Young & Other Animals – We’re All In This Together – Gift of the Gab
Records

* *

*The** next add date for WWSP is 5/22/11.  I will have space for 15 Jazz
discs. I review and add discs in the order in which they are received. All
discs chart for 7 – 8 weeks and then move to recurrent. This is to keep up
with the quantity of quality music that we receive. Thanks for your support
of WWSP 90fm.*

*  Russ*

Russ Haines
Jazz/World Music Director