[JPL] TOO MUCH PRODUCT

Steven Briggs bluenightrecords at gmail.com
Sun May 15 17:11:27 EDT 2011

This comes not from a programmer, but from the founder of an indie record
label (Blue Night Records).  We've been producing acoustic jazz CDs
since1998, and have promoted each release, in part, by sending copies to
jazz programmers and then following up with a couple to phone calls to
prompt spins.  I won't say these have been wildly successful campaigns, but
we average about 150 spins for each release over about a six-week period
after each release.  We also track sales by geographic area, and I have
indeed noticed a corrrelation between number of spins and sales figures.

Still, the stronger relationship has always been between sales and live show
locations.  We do advance print promotion of major shows, and have recently
taken to incremental rounds of radio promotion a couple of weeks before each
one.

Overall, you folks are indeed boosting sales and generating interest for new
music.  And in our special case, with our focus on acoustic string jazz
(mandolin, guitar), the fact that we get airplay in what several of you have
described as a universe of classic jazz recordings is pretty amazing.  So,
in my humble opinion, you guys and gals are doing great.  Sure, there's room
for improvement, and sure, maybe you could give the newer music more
exposue.  I'm among the first to recognize, though, that it would be done at
the expense of spinning many of our favorites (e.g., Duke, Miles, Lady Day,
Trane, etc.).

So anyway, thanks.  Don't be too hard on yourselves.  You're giving a big
boost to struggling musicians trying to get their art heard, their rent
paid, and their kids fed.  Maybe not health insurance yet, but who knows . .
.

Back to luriking.  Thanks for the opportunity to chime in on this.

Steven Briggs, President
Blue Night Records
www.bluenightrecords.com