[JPL] Too Much Product? coordinating release schedules?

onthebeach at aol.com onthebeach at aol.com
Sun May 15 22:24:36 EDT 2011

artists make recordings and their record companies schedule them for release based on a myriad number of factors.
in the best of circumstances, there is a well planned, well thought out strategy.  a scheduled release date triggers any number
of activities, involving many layers of people.  once a date is set, undoing it can be quite involved and upsets other plans around other releases' dates.

it is unrealistic to hope labels will change their plans much if at all.  i can share and speak to how things used to be:
if you had a great record coming out (say a potential No. 1) it was understood, that your projections were subject to what
other possible No. 1 records were being released by your competition, close to your release date.

i can share this as well, by way of example.  i did "friendly battle" with duke dubois every week for seven years myself + another
8 to 10 years surreptitiously through my head(s) of promotion.  between us there was an incredible amount of No. 1 and No. 2
records (and it ended up pretty even).  every one of those No. 2 records might have been a No. 1 record were it not for the "other"
No. 1 record that came out about the same time.

ricky schultz
www.jazzconsultant.com
"What can we do for You?"