[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: George Cables, TK Blue & Victor Prieto!

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon May 16 09:49:57 EDT 2011

(MAY 16, 2011) FINAL COUNTDOWN!

Goal: 100 members by the 300th show
Current members: 32
Members needed: 68
Shows left until TJS #300: 32

I've spent the past several days on Cape Cod in Massachusetts. It's been a
little chilly at times but generally fairly sunny and lovely. I haven't
seen any jazz here but I did add more photos to my series Buddha In The
Modern World: http://tinyurl.com/42k4aa8

Last week I went back to the Evolving Music Series, which happens every
Monday night at Clemente Soto Velez on Suffolk Street in NYC. I saw a
great lineup that included the Adam Caine Trio, Allen Lowe & The Blue
Monsters and Avram Fefer. Here are the photos I took:
http://tinyurl.com/5wpxgyn

The Cookers series continues this Monday with George Cables. Listen to the
show to find out how to win a CD autographed by all the members of the
band.

Please note that during the month of May I'll be posting three shows
each week.

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #268: George Cables. Pianist George Cables' most recent recording is
with The Cookers on their new album, Cast The First Stone (Plus Loin
Music, 2010). In this interview, Cables talks about the importance of a
unified concept; why he feels he's had success as a sideman with everyone
from Dexter Gordon to Art Pepper; and how he makes each composition his
own. SHOW AVAILABLE NOW.

TJS #269: TK Blue. Saxophonist TK Blue's new CD is Latinbird (Motema
Music, 2011). In this interview, Blue talks about his decision to record
an album of Parker's music; his years in Paris and his early days in New
York; and how his relationships with Randy Weston, Abdullah Ibrahim and
Benny Powell have shaped his life and music. SHOW AVAILABLE STARTING
5/18/11.

TJS #270: Victor Prieto. Accordionist Prieto talks about the depth of the
global accordion tradition; his move from the classical and folkloric
worlds to the jazz idiom; and how he combines the diverse elements of his
musical history into a unique whole. SHOW AVAILABLE STARTING 5/20/11.

--
Jason Crane
The Jazz Session