[JPL] Too Much Product?

Blujazz info at blujazz.com
Mon May 16 14:48:51 EDT 2011

2 cents......and only God knows I have no answers to much these days.  I agree with Ken.  I also agree with Jae.  We have never sent off more than 2 CDs within a 3 month time period and yes we could make a lot more money if we did  more.   I truly am quite amazed that it seems those that are arguing with you seem to think it is a right not a privilege to get airplay.  I remember when I promoted my first CDs how much of a thrill it was to be have the CD played by your community.  I know the amount of time that you put into making this happen and keeping jazz radio alive.  Some of you even get paid but there are so many that have weekly programs that are only volunteers who receive no pay and do it out of love for the music.

Also, please remember that in this time of independent labels, yes it is a co-op with the label, but every deal is different with every artist.  Most artists are bringing finished products to the label and then paying a fee on top of that.  And  though we say that the artist retains their intellectual property, many labels still license for 7 to 8 years where it is not their property for that period.  AND ask the artists who have gone thru this how much they have made in distribution sales and how often those pay outs are.

With that said, I honor you in radio and I hope that you hang with the changing times.  I plan on keeping the straw above water,
See you in June,
Greg

Greg Pasenko
Blujazz, Chicago