[JPL] Playlist-Jazz with George Thomas with Jazz Membership Drive for Thursday, 05/19/11

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Thu May 19 23:12:11 EDT 2011

Jazz with George Thomas with Jazz Membership Drive for Thursday, 05/19/11

VPR is in our May Membership Drive and we hope you'll support Jazz on VPR
by calling 1-800-639-6391 or go to VPR.net and make a financial pledge to
your public radio station. Hopefully Charlie Parker's "Romance Without
Finance," and The Mills Brothers' "Money In My Pocket" will encourage you
to support the music you love. Thanks

Playlist

9:01pm
Caravan
Artist Name 	The Mills Brothers
Composer 	Juan Tizol, Duke Ellington
Soloists 	Mills Brothers-Vocals
CD/Album 	The 1930's Recordings
Record co./Cat # 	JSP Records 2
Release Year 	1938

9:04pm
Money In My Pockets
Artist Name 	The Mills Brothers
Soloists 	Mills Brothers-Vocals
CD/Album 	The 1930's Recordings
Record co./Cat # 	JSP Records 2
Release Year 	1934

9:07pm
I Wish I Were Twins
Artist Name 	Fats Waller and His Rhythm
Composer 	Frank Loesser, Eddie DeLange, Joseph Meyer
Soloists 	Fats Waller-Piano & Vocals
CD/Album 	Breakin' The Ice
Record co./Cat # 	Bluebird 66618-2
Release Year 	1934

9:09pm
House Rent Boogie
Artist Name 	Count Basie and His Orchestra
Composer 	Count Basie
Soloists 	Count Basie-Piano
CD/Album 	1947 - Brand New Wagon
Record co./Cat # 	Bluebird 2292-2
Release Year 	1947

9:12pm
Pennies From Heaven
Artist Name 	Susie Arioli Swing Band featuring Jordan Officer
Composer 	Johnny Burke, Arthur Johnston
Soloists 	Susie Arioli-Vocals & Snare ; Jordan Officer-Guitar
CD/Album 	Pennies From Heaven
Record co./Cat # 	Justin Time 181-2
Release Year 	2002

9:16pm
Romance Without Finance
Artist Name 	Charlie Parker
Composer 	Tiny Grimes
Soloists 	Charlie Parker-Alto Sax ; Tiny Grimes-Guitar, Vocals
CD/Album 	Bird-The Savoy Recordings, Vol. 1
Record co./Cat # 	Savoy Jazz 4402
Release Year 	1944

9:22pm
Better Go
Artist Name 	Ben Webster & Harry "Sweets" Edison
Composer 	Ben Webster
Soloists 	Ben Webster-Tenor Sax ; Harry "Sweets" Edison-Trumpet
CD/Album 	Columbia Small Group Swing Sessions 1953-62
Record co./Cat # 	Mosaic 8-228
Release Year 	1962

9:31pm
Centerpiece
Artist Name 	Roberta Gambarini
Composer 	Harry "Sweets" Edison
Soloists 	Roberta Gambarini-Vocals ; James Moody-Vocals ; Tamir
Hendelman-Piano
CD/Album 	Easy To Love
Record co./Cat # 	Kindred Rhythm / Groovin' High 1122
Release Year 	2006
Note 	In Concert: 6.11.2011 Flynn, Burlington Discover Jazz Fest

9:37pm
Gee Baby, Ain't I Good To You
Artist Name 	Nat King Cole Trio
Composer 	Andy Razaf-Don Redman
Soloists 	Nat King Cole-Piano, Vocals
CD/Album 	The Best Of Nat King Cole Trio: The Vocal Classics (1942-46)
Record co./Cat # 	Capitol Jazz 533571
Release Year 	1943

9:44pm
The River Of Night
Artist Name 	Burgstaller Martignon 4
Composer 	J.S. Bach, Joe Burgstaller
Soloists 	Joe Burgstaller-Trumpet ; Hector Martignon-Piano
CD/Album 	Bach's Secret Files And More Crossover Fantasies
Record co./Cat # 	Summit Records 565
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

9:51pm
Django
Artist Name 	Monty Alexander
Composer 	John Lewis
Soloists 	Monty Alexander-Piano
CD/Album 	Uplift
Record co./Cat # 	Jazz Legacy Productions 1001012
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:01pm
Mirage
Artist Name 	James Harvey
Composer 	James Harvey
Soloists 	James Harvey-Trombone, Piano ; Peter Apfelbaum-Tenor Sax ; Dave
Grippo-Alto Sax ; Stacy Starkweather-Bass ; Jeff Salisbury-Drums
CD/Album 	Grateful
Record co./Cat # 	JH 01
Release Year 	2001

10:09pm
Star Eyes
Artist Name 	Roy Hargrove, Christian McBride, Stephen Scott Trio
Composer 	Don Raye, Gene DePaul
Soloists 	Roy Hargrove-Trumpet ; Christian McBride-Bass ; Stephen Scott-Piano
CD/Album 	Parker's Mood
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 314 527 907-2
Release Year 	1995
Note 	In Concert: 6.11.2011 Flynn, Burlington Discover Jazz Fest

10:15pm
Aceite
Artist Name 	Tiempo Libre
Composer 	Jorge Gomez
Soloists 	Jorge Gomez-Keyboards
CD/Album 	My Secret Radio
Record co./Cat # 	Masterworks 84585-2
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:24pm
James Booker
Artist Name 	Irving Mayfield
Composer 	Irving Mayfield
Soloists 	Irving Mayfield-Trumpet ; Ronald Markham-Piano ; Bill
Summers-Percussion
CD/Album 	A Love Letter To New Orleans
Record co./Cat # 	Basin Street Records 0406-2
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:33pm
Please Send Me Someone To Love
Artist Name 	James Booker
Composer 	Percy Mayfield
Soloists 	James Booker- Piano, Vocals
CD/Album 	New Orleans Piano Wizard: Live!
Record co./Cat # 	Rounder 2027
Release Year 	1977

10:38pm
Shrimp And Gumbo
Artist Name 	The Rebirth Brass Band
Composer 	Dave Bartholomew, Pearl King
CD/Album 	Rebirth Of New Orleans
Record co./Cat # 	Basin Street Records 1202-2
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:44pm
Valse 29