[JPL] PLAYLIST: The next Jazz America on VOA

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Sun May 22 22:19:31 EDT 2011

Following is the log for the next JAZZ AMERICA program from the Voice of America, now heard by more listeners than ever before, not only on the entertainment service MusicMix, but also on the worldwide VOA service via shortwave transmission. The show is two hours long and reaches a potential audience of 134 million listeners worldwide each weekend.

Jazz America airs twice each weekend online in the Eastern time zone on Saturday from 1-3 AM (That's 11 PM-1 AM Pacific time, Friday into Saturday AM) and Sunday from 9-11 AM Eastern time (That's 6-9 AM Pacific). To get more info on Jazz America and to listen to the latest program in MP3 form or on Windows Media Player go to the Jazz America web site:
http://www1.voanews.com/english/programs/radio/64963177.html Jazz America is available on demand on this web page. Each show is only available through Friday evening when it is replaced by the next week’s program. You can download them by
right clicking on the MP3 icon and clicking "Save Target As."

Listen on Shortwave:  1300 GMT/UTC Saturdays and Sundays
Africa - 4.95 6.08 13.57 15.58 17.895 mhz
Middle East and Europe - 12.005 15.53 mhz
Asia and Pacific - 7.43 7.575 9.7 12.15 mhz

Jazz America is also heard on affiliate FM & AM stations worldwide. International listeners should check their local radio station guide for more information. For any comments or communication you can reach me by email at jazz-america at voa.gov.
Jazz America with Russ Davis

105 east 16th street/# 7 south•new york, ny 10003

phone...212 614-0424   email…jazz-america at voa.gov

JAZZ AMERICA...SHOW #1239...28-29 MAY 2011

WES MONTGOMERY...impressions (live @ the half note-new york 1965)

JJ JOHNSON...turnpike (the eminent: volume one)

* Dee Dee Bridgewater Interview

JEREMY SISKIND & DEE DEE BRIDGEWATER...night & day (live @ the anthenaeum theatre)

JEREMY SISKIND...firstness (simple songs)

FREDDIE HUBBARD...happiness is now (pinnacle)

ELIANE ELIAS...stay cool (light my fire)

* Geri Allen Interview

GERI ALLEN...feed the fire (twenty one)

EMMET COHEN...johnny mandel medley (live @ the anthenaeum theatre)

JAZZ AMERICA...SHOW #1240...28-29 MAY 2011

ART TATUM...indiana (1952)

GARY BURTON...flying home (for hamp, red, bags and cal)

* Dee Dee Bridgewater Interview

ZACH LAPIDUS & DEE DEE BRIDGEWATER...embraceable you (live @ the anthenaeum theatre)

DAN TEPFER…all I heard was nothing (five pedals deep)

PHAREZ WHITTED...our man barak (transient journey)

JOHN TAYLOR...calypso 53 (requiem for a dreamer)

* Danilo Perez Interview

DANILO PEREZ...cobilla (providencia)

ROY HARGROVE/SLIDE HAMPTON…a day in Vienna (nothing serious)

AARON DIEHL…tea for two (live @ the jazz kitchen)

Next Week…SHOWS #1241-1242...4-5 JUNE 2011

Special Feature…WYNTON MARSALIS Part 1: ESSENTIALLY ELLINGTON

Russ Davis takes you to the Jazz @ Lincoln Center complex to speak with artistic director and award-winning trumpeter, composer and bandleader Wynton Marsalis about the 16th year of the “Essentially Ellington” Festival and Competition, teaching young musicians the joys of jazz and the incredible legacy and impact of the great Duke Ellington.