[JPL] Hip jazz covers of Bob Dylan anyone?

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Tue May 24 07:54:30 EDT 2011

"Decent"?   Among the few complaints I've heard from listeners over the
years, one or more of these Dylan covers has elicited a couple.

Abbey Lincoln Mr Tambourine Man (Who Used to Dance)
Bob Dorough Don't Think Twice (Just About Everything)
Kate McGarry The Times They Are A-Changin' (If Less Is More)

On 5/24/2011 7:43 AM, cobuchow at aol.com wrote:
> This week's sponsor: Lisa Hilton "Underground" with Nasheet Waits/drums, Larry Grenadier/bass and J.D. Allen/tenor sax
>
> "Lisa Hilton has topped herself on 'Underground.'  She's never played, written or expressed herself better as an artist.   This is living adventurous jazz that breathes fresh but at the same time is rooted in the best parts of the past- and always deeply emotive.  Surrounded by some of the finest musicians working today, Hilton hits the mark on every cut.  She's joined the ranks of her own contemporary heroes."  Todd Steed/WUOT
>
> "Shimmering and spacious. Though not as well known as her session mates, Hilton easily holds her own during these performances, and her compositions clearly inspire all concerned."  Mike Joyce/Jazz Times
>
> Lisa Hilton
> www.lisahiltonmusic.com
>
> ---------------------
>

> Today is Bob Dylan's 70th birthday. Can anyone suggest some decent jazz covers of Dylan tunes?
>
> I'm aware of Ben Sidran's recent tribute disc, for one.
>
> Many Thanks,
> Chuck Obuchowski, WWUH, Public Alternative Radio at The University of Hartford
>

> Chuck Obuchowski
> WWUH Jazz Music Director
> 200 Bloomfield Ave.
> West Hartford, CT  06117
> http://wwuh.org
> 860-768-4701
> cobuchow at aol.com
> office hours: Tuesdays, noon - 4 pm, Eastern.

Tom Reney
"Jazz à la Mode"
Monday-Friday, 8 - 11 p.m.

WFCR