[JPL] Is playing Route 66 insensitive?

Eric Gruner eric at jazz901.org
Wed May 25 15:07:01 EDT 2011

I don't think so, particularly if you tie it in with talking about the
fundraising efforts of the red cross (or the many other organizations) and
sent prayers to the people affected by the storms....  anything that can
help.  The pictures and stories coming out of there are incredible.

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Arturo Gomez <arturo at kuvo.org> wrote:

> This week's sponsor: Lisa Hilton "Underground" with Nasheet Waits/drums,
> Larry Grenadier/bass and J.D. Allen/tenor sax
>
> "Lisa Hilton has topped herself on 'Underground.'  She's never played,
> written or expressed herself better as an artist.   This is living
> adventurous jazz that breathes fresh but at the same time is rooted in the
> best parts of the past- and always deeply emotive.  Surrounded by some of
> the finest musicians working today, Hilton hits the mark on every cut.
>  She's joined the ranks of her own contemporary heroes."  Todd Steed/WUOT
>
> "Shimmering and spacious. Though not as well known as her session mates,
> Hilton easily holds her own during these performances, and her compositions
> clearly inspire all concerned."  Mike Joyce/Jazz Times
>
> Lisa Hilton
> www.lisahiltonmusic.com
>
> ---------------------
>
> Would airing  the legendary Bobby Troup standard, Route 66 be considered
> insensitive because of its mention of Joplin? Obviously there are more than
> one way to interpret the playing of the song at the moment.
>
> Arturo Gómez
> Music Director
> The Oasis In The City, The Front Range and the High Country!
> jazz89KUVO 89.3FM DENVER, 89.7FM BRECKENRIDGE, KVJZ 88.5FM VAIL
> Colorado's First HD FM Radio Station
> Celebrating 16 Years of Live Performances!

Eric Gruner
Afternoon Jazz Host 3pm-6pm
JAZZ 90.1
www.jazz901.org