[JPL] Playlist-Jazz with George Thomas with Miles Davis, Lew Tabackin for Thursday, 05/26/11

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Thu May 26 23:17:56 EDT 2011

Jazz with George Thomas with Miles Davis, Lew Tabackin for Thursday, 05/26/11

We celebrate the birthday of one of the greats in jazz, trumpeter,
bandleader & composer Miles Davis. We hear his definitive album "Kind Of
Blue" and several CDs that have Miles as a sideman - Shirley Horn's "You
Won't Forget Me" and Cannonball Adderley's "Somethin' Else." We also
celebrate the birthday os tenor sax Lew Tabackin

Playlist

9:00pm
Alll Blues
Artist Name 	Miles Davis
Composer 	Miles Davis
Soloists 	Miles Davis-Trumpet ; Cannonball Adderley-Alto Sax ; John
Coltrane-Tenor Sax ; Bill Evans-Piano ; Paul Chambers-Bass ; Jimmy
Cobb-Drums
CD/Album 	Kind Of Blue - Legacy Edition
Record co./Cat # 	Columbia/Legacy 45885 2
Release Year 	1959
Note 	Birthday: Miles Davis 5.26.1926

9:12pm
Milestones
Artist Name 	Bill Evans Trio
Composer 	Miles Davis
Soloists 	Bill Evans-Piano ; Scott LaFaro-Bass ; Paul Motian-Drums
CD/Album 	Waltz For Debbie
Record co./Cat # 	Riverside 9399
Release Year 	1961
Note 	Birthday: Miles Davis 5.26.1926

9:18pm
You Won't Forget Me
Artist Name 	Shirley Horn
Composer 	K. Goell, F. Spielman
Soloists 	Shirley Horn-Vocals, Piano ; Miles Davis-Trumpet ; Charles
Ables-Bass ; Steve Williams-Drums
CD/Album 	You Won't Forget Me
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 847 482 2
Release Year 	1991
Note 	Birthday: Miles Davis 5.26.1926

9:28pm
Stormy Weather
Artist Name 	Red Garland Trio
Composer 	Arlen, Koehler
Soloists 	Red Garland-Piano ; Paul Chambers-Bass ; Arthur Taylor-Drums
CD/Album 	All Kinds Of Weather
Record co./Cat # 	Prestige/OJC 193-2
Release Year 	1958

9:39pm
Embraceable You
Artist Name 	Charlie Parker Quintet
Composer 	George & Ira Gershwin
Soloists 	Charlie Parker-Alto Sax ; Miles Davis-Trumpet ; Duke
Jordan-Piano ; Max Roach-Drums
CD/Album 	Best Of The Complete Savoy & Dial Studio Recordings
Record co./Cat # 	Savoy Jazz 17120
Release Year 	1947
Note 	Birthday: Miles Davis 5.26.1926

9:45pm
Solar
Artist Name 	Bill Evans Trio
Composer 	Miles Davis
Soloists 	Bill Evans-Piano ; Scott LaFaro-Bass ; Paul Motian-Drums
CD/Album 	Sunday Night At The Village Vanguard
Record co./Cat # 	Riverside/OJC 9376
Release Year 	1961
Note 	Birthday: Miles Davis 5.26.1926

9:55pm
Blue Skies
Artist Name 	Les Doigts de L'Homme
Composer 	Irving Berlin
CD/Album 	1910
Record co./Cat # 	Alma 61412
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:00pm
Last Snow
Artist Name 	The New Gary Burton Quartet
Composer 	Vadim Neselovskyi
Soloists 	Gary Burton-Vibes ; Julian Lage-Guitar ; Scott Colley-Bass ;
Antonio Sanchez-Drums
CD/Album 	Common Ground
Record co./Cat # 	Mack Avenue 1061
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:07pm
Autumn Leaves
Artist Name 	Julian "Cannonball" Adderley
Composer 	Cosma, Mercer. Prevert
Soloists 	Julian "Cannonball" Adderley-Alto Sax ; Miles Davis-Trumpet ;
Hank Jones-Piano
CD/Album 	Somethin' Else
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Note Records 7 46338 2
Release Year 	1958
Note 	Birthday: Miles Davis 5.26.1926

10:18pm
The Waking
Artist Name 	Kurt Elling
Composer 	Theodore Roethke, Kust Elling, Rob Amster
Soloists 	Kurt Elling-Vocals ; Rob Amster-Bass
CD/Album 	Nightmoves
Record co./Cat # 	Concord Jazz 30138-2
Release Year 	2007

10:24pm
Body And Soul
Artist Name 	Lew Tabackin Trio
Composer 	Green-Heyman-Sour-Eyton
Soloists 	Lew Tabackin-Tenor Sax ; Boris Kozlov-Bass ; Mark Taylor-Drums
CD/Album 	Tanuki's Night Out
Record co./Cat # 	www.lewtabackin.com
Release Year 	2005
Note 	Birthday: Lew Tabackin 5.26.1940

10:38pm
Milestones
Artist Name 	Miles Davis
Composer 	Miles Davis
Soloists 	Miles Davis-Trumpet ; George Coleman-Tenor Sax ; Herbie
Hancock-Piano ; Ron Carter-Bass ; Tony Williams-Drums
CD/Album 	Miles Davis In Europe
Record co./Cat # 	Columbia/Legacy 93583
Release Year 	1963
Note 	Birthday: Miles Davis 5.26.1926

10:47pm
I'm A Fool To Want You
Artist Name 	Sheila Jordan
Composer 	Wolf, Herron, Sinatra
Soloists 	Sheila Jordan-Vocals ; Barry Galbraith-Guitar
CD/Album 	Portrait Of Sheila
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Note Records 7 89002-2
Release Year 	1962
Note 	In Concert: 6.7.2011 FlynnSpace

10:52pm
Cheesecake
Artist Name 	Will Patton
Composer 	Dexter Gordon
Soloists 	Will Patton-Mandolin
CD/Album 	Flow
Record co./Cat # 	King's Hill Music 0511
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

--
Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas