[JPL] WWSP music report week of 5/22/11 - 5/29/11

Russell Haines russjazzworld at gmail.com
Fri May 27 20:23:28 EDT 2011

*WWSP  JAZZ / WORLD / PLUS    Report for week of   5/22/11 – 5/29/11*

*WWSP 90fm*

*University of Wisconsin Stevens Point*

*30,000 Watts*

* *

*Russ Haines
*

*Jazz/World Music Director*

*WWSP 90fm*

*1608 Reserve Street*

*Stevens Point, WI. 54481*

*PLEASE USE E-MAIL FOR CONTACTING ME*

*russjazzworld at gmail.com* <russjazzworld at gmail.com>**

* *

*4 or more spins*

* *

6 Eric Alexander – Don’t Follow the Crowd - HighNote

6 Karrin Allyson – ‘Round Midnight – Concord

6 Bill Anschell – Figments - Origin

4 AsGuests – Universal Mind - Origin

4 Sheryl Bailey 4 – For All Those Living – PureMusic Records

5 Danjam Orchestra – Sudden Appearance – OA2 Records

6 Eliane Elias – Light My Fire - Concord

5 Bela Fleck – Rocket Science - eone

4 Gaucho – Pearl – Porto Franco Records

4 Jared Gold – All Wrapped Up - Positone

5 Larry Goldings – In My Room – BFM Jazz

6 Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band – That’s How We Roll – Telarc Jazz

6 Benny Green – Source - JLP

4 Iro Haarla Quintet – Vespers – ECM

4 He Said, She Said – Duets for Two Voices – Vocoloco Records

5 James Farm – self-titled - Nonesuch

5 Etta Jones – The Way We Were - HighNote

6 Sean Jones – No Need for Words – Mack Ave.

5 Steve Khan – Parting Shot – Shrapnel Records

6 Konitz/Mehldau/Haden/Motian – Live At Birdland - ECM

5 David Leonhardt Jazz Group – Plays Cole Porter – Big Bang Records

5 Delfayo Marsalis – Sweet Thunder – Troubador Records

6 Nelson Matta & Roni Ben-Hur – Mojave - Motema

6 Alphonse Mouzon – Angel Face – Tenacious Records

6 Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis – Here We Go Again – Blue Note

5 Jean-Michel Pilc – Essential - Motema

5 Debbie Poryes & Bruce Williamson – Two & Fro – OA2

5 Rufus Reid & Out Front – Hues of a Different Blue - Motema

5 Avery Sharpe – Running Man – JKNM Records

6 Liam Sillery – Priorite’ – OA2

4 Alex Skolnick Trio – Veritas –Palmetto

6 Tommy Smith – Karma – Spartacus Records

6 Storms/Nocturnes – VIA - Origin

5 John Stowell/Michael Zilber Quartet – Shot Through With Beauty – Origin

4 Tiempo Libre – My Secret Radio - Masterworks

6 Colin Vallon Trio – Rruga - ECM

5 Marcin Wasilewski Trio – Faithful - ECM

4 Billy White – First Things First – Porto Franco Records

* *

*2 – 3 spins *

* *

2 Nasar Abadey & Supernova – Diamond In The Rough – Takbir Music

3 Ketil Bjornstad/Svante Henryson – Night Song - ECM

3 Terence Brewer – Setting the Standard Vol. One – Strong Brew Music

2 John Brown Trio – Dancing With Duke – Brown Boulevard

3 Ray Brown’s Great Big Band – Kayak – Brown Cats Productions

2 Burgstaller Martignon 4 – Bach’s Secret Files… - Summit

3 Royce Campbell Trio – Make Me Rainbows – Moon Cycle Records

2 Bryan Carter – Enchantment – Imaginate Records

3 George Cole Quintet – Riverside Drive – Oceanview Records

2 N. Glenn Davis Trio – What Could Be – Speak Jazz Records

3 Benoit Delbecq Trio – The Sixth Jump – Songlines

3 Mathias Eick – Skala - ECM

3 John Esposito – Orisha - Sunjump

3 Seth Ford-Young – Self-titled – Porto Franco Records

3 Larry Gray Trio – Three Equals One – Chicago Sessions

3 Dave Grusin – An Evening With… -  Heads Up

3 Noah Haidu – Slipsteam - Positone

3 Mr. Ho’s Orchestrotica – Third River Rangoon - Tiki

3 Julia Hulsmann Trio – Imprint - ECM

3 Robert Hurst – Unrehurst Vol. 2 – Bebob Records

2 Melvin Jones – Pivot – Turnaround Records

3 Dave Juarez – Round Red Light – Positone

3 Lisa Kirchner – Something to Sing About – Albany Records

3 Paula Lammers – Deep Purple Dreams – Nightingale Jazz

2 Steven Lugerner Septet – Narratives – Self produced

2 Susie Meissner – I’m Confessin’ – Lydian Jazz

3 Soren Moller – Christian X Variations – Audial Records

2 Native Soul – Soul Step – Talking Drums Records

3 Gretchen Parlato – The Lost & Found - Obliqsound

2 Deborah Pearl – Souvenir of You – Evening Star

3 Kim Pensyl & Phil Degreg – Melodious Monk - Summit

2 Reynold Philipsek – Tales from the North Woods – Rephi Records

3 Iiro Rantala – Lost Heroes - ACT

3 Jason Robinson - The Two Faces of Janus - Cuneiform

3 Mike Rood – The Desert & the City – Self produced

2 Kiki Sanchez – Two World – Diola Entertainment

2 Sylvan Street – Here in America - Summit

2 Tempest Little Big Band – Round Midnight – Tempest Jazz

3 Tunnel Six - Lake Superior – OA2 Records

3 Roseanna Vitro – The Music of Randy Newman - Motema

3 Torben Waldorff – American Rock Beauty – ArtistShare

3 Walt Weiskopf  Quartet – Live – Capri Records

3 Andrea Wood – dhyana – Wood Records

* *

* *

*JAZZ ADDS WEEK OF 5/29/11*

*Jane Bunnett & Hilario Duran – Cuban Rhapsody – Alma Records*

*Les Doights de l’Homme – 1910 – Alma Records*

*Downie – Just Ask Me - Rhombus*

*Farmers by Nature – Out of This World’s Distortions – AUM Fidelity*

*Marquis Hill – New Gospel – Self - produced*

*Freddie Hubbard – Pinnacle – Resonance*

*Branford Marsalis/Joey Calderazzo – Songs of Mirth & Melancholy – Marsalis
Music*

*James Torme – Love for Sale – eone*

*D. Ware/C. Moore/W. Parker/M. Ali – Planetary Unknown – AUM Fidelity*

* *

*** REISSUES/COMPILATIONS***

* *

4 Deodato – Prelude - CTI

7 Various – Jazz - Putumayo

* *

*W = WORLD          *** Add this week*

* *

*W *6 Sergent Garcia – Una y Otra Vez - Cumbancha**

*W *6* *Jolly Boys – Great Expectation – eone/GEEJAM* *

*W *5 Karsh Kale – Cinema – Six Degrees**

*W *5 Katchie & Le Monde Cache’ – Tales & Tongues - HCW**

*W *4 Katchafire – On the Road Again – Ohana Records* *

**** Youssou NDour – Dakar-Kingston – Emarcy/Decca*

*W *5 Pena – Vol. 1 – Secret Stash**

*W* 3 Pena – Vol .2 – Secret Stash

*W *3 Pena -  Vol. 3 – Secret Stash**

*W* 4 Bianca Rossini - Kiss of Brasil – BDM Records

*W *4 Loga Ramin Torkian – Mehraab – Terrestial Lane

*W* 6 Terakaft – Children of the Azawad – World Village

**** Vieux Farka Toure – The Secret – Six Degrees*

*W *9 Various – Playing for Change 2 - Concord**

*W *5 Various – Rumba, Mambo, Cha Cha Cha - Putumayo

* *

*PLUS  =  Music that fits multiple formats at WWSP*

3 bb&c – The Veil - Cryptogramophone

4 Bohemian Quartet – Beyond Tradition – Self produced

3 Echocentrics – Sunshadows - Ubiquity

4 Robin Holcomb/Wayne Horvitz – The Point of It All – Songlines

4 Katherine Jenkins – Believe – Reprise

5 Booker T. Jones – The Road From Memphis – ANTI-

4 Mitch Kessler – Der Erlkonig - Sunjump

4 Steve Krause – Broke Down Beautiful – Self produced

2 Michael J. Miles -  Col.age – Right Turn On Red Music

4 Aaron Novik – Floating World Vol. 1 – Porto Franco Records

4 Pear – Extemp’ore – Self-produced

3 Rue de Funk – Weather the Storm – Self-produced

4 Gabby Young & Other Animals – We’re All in This Together – Gift of the Gab
Records

* *

*The** next add date for WWSP is 6/5/11.  I will have space for 15 Jazz
discs. I review and add discs in the order in which they are received. All
discs chart for 7 – 8 weeks and then move to recurrent. This is to keep up
with the quantity of quality music that we receive. Thanks for your support
of WWSP 90fm.*

*  Russ*

Russ Haines
Jazz/World Music Director