[JPL] RIP GIL SCOTT HERON 1949-2011

Bobby Jackson ftapache1 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 28 10:54:59 EDT 2011

I was part of a committee of students at the University of Georgia called "Contemporary Concerts" around '76 or '77.  Perhaps 20 or so students participated and I happened to be the only African-American student in that group.  They asked me to come up with a suggestion for an act to perform and I suggested Gil Scott-Heron, Brian Jackson and the Midnight Band.  They all said, "who's that?"  I explained as best I could and we brought them in.  I emceed that show and what a raucous he created with dot dot di dit - dot dot dash -- damned if I know...... and other brilliant pieces.  Not everyone was happy which was reflected in the campus newspaper, The Red and Black for weeks afterwards.  The next time an African-American group was to be identified, the committee asked me if  BB King would be okay..........  Of course, he was.  I was actually thinking more on the lines of Kain:The Blue Guerilla...   LOL!!

Bobby Jackson
THE JAZZ MIND
www.thejazzmind.com
ftapache1 at sbcglobal.net