[JPL] PLAYLIST: Continuum, A Journey Through Jazz - "Jazz zz Funk #3 / 1976 (Soulandjazz.com)

Jazzevangelist scott at soulandjazz.com
Mon May 30 00:09:06 EDT 2011

Soulandjazz.com Presents:
Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz
Episode 50:  "Jazz-Funk #3 (1976)

Welcome to the 50th Episode of Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz and the third episode in a series chronicling the music that got me into Jazz in the first place … Jazz Funk from 1976.

You can hear it now, free & legal, in the present: http://bit.ly/ks5ZiH

We start once again with Earth, Wind & Fire, who initially sparked my interest & awareness of music that existed outside the pop charts – leading to Ramsey Lewis and beyond…on to the sounds of Jazz-Funk fused with Soul, expertly demonstrated by Brick, Pleasure and Alphonse Mouzon. We then focus on the work of three innovative bass players who forever changed the way the instrument was played – Louis Johnson, Stanley Clarke, and Jaco Pastorius – followed by Weather Report, and several saxophonist who stirred things up in ‘76…Michael Brecker, Ronnie Laws and Tom Scott.

An hour’s journey in time to 1976 that’s the hippest trip on the Internet! If your interest in Jazz was sparked or influenced by any particular artist or song in the 1970’s I’d love to hear your story – please contact me by sending an email to Scott at SoulandJazz.com …or just write to me for any reason whatsoever. I always love to hear from you!

PLAYLIST: Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz #50

Artist – Track – Album – Year

Earth, Wind & Fire - Biyo - Spirit	 - 1976
Ramsey Lewis	- Brazilica - Salongo - 1976
Brick - Brick City - Good High - 1976
Pleasure - Let’s Dance - Accept No Substitutes - 1976
Alphonse Mouzon	- Snake Walk	- The Man Incognito - 1976
The Brothers Johnson - Thunder Thumbs & Lightning Licks - Looking Out For #1 - 1976
Stanley Clarke - Hot Fun - School Days - 1976
Jaco Pastorius	 - Kuru / Speak Like A Child - Jaco Pastorius - 1976
Weather Report - Barbary Coast	- Black Market - 1976
Brecker Brothers - Grease Piece - Back To Back - 1976
Ronnie Laws - Fever - Fever - 1976
Tom Scott - Gotcha (Theme From “Starsky & Hutch”) - Blow It Out - 1976

Background Music:
Earth, Wind & Fire - Runnin’ (Original Hollywood Mix) - 	All ‘n All - 1977