[JPL] List of Jazz Musicians Who Served in The Military

David Johnson djohnso2001 at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 15:05:30 EDT 2011

Re:  Miller, he also led the Army Air Forces band (as it's come to be known), which brought a number of 1940s-era musicians into its ranks:  Mel Powell, Peanuts Hucko, Ray McKinley, Addison Collins Jr., Trigger Alpert, Nat Peck, and numerous others.  I interviewed Peck for this past week's Afterglow, which was all about the Miller AAF band:

http://indianapublicmedia.org/afterglow/sustain-wings-glenn-miller-war-aaf-orchestra/

Quite an amazing orchestra, and hipper than you might think (especially Powell's Uptown Hall Gang small group, which can be heard in 1944 doing "A Night in Tunisia").

Did somebody mention Lester Young already?  A very unhappy experience, but definitely a military one.  Also Billy Bang, who commemorated his time in Vietnam decades later with two CDs.

David Brent Johnson
WFIU-Bloomington, IN