[JPL] Re: standards/traditions/Geo Wein/radio

Christopher Jentsch jentsch at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 3 05:28:25 EDT 2011

The most obscure and curious "post-1972" Keith sideman appearance I
know of is on his younger brother Scott Jarrett's 1980 singer/
songwriter record: Without Rhyme or Reason. Keith is only on a couple
of the tracks as far as I remember hearing a college radio station LP
way back in the day...but...YouTube strikes again. A good bet might
be that Scott is actually singing about his brother on the first
track below:

SCOTT JARRETT - NEVER MY FAULT Feat. KEITH JARRETT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySz5kbwMRv4

SCOTT JARRETT - PICTURES Feat. KEITH JARRETT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEtGb-B6v9o&feature=related

My 30-year-old best guess remains that Keith is only playing the
acoustic piano on these songs, and not the Rhodes parts (!).

For decades we've all known Keith's reticence to join outside
projects, but it has crossed my mind to wonder how he would sound
accompanying a nice singer. Not as important a fantasy as the reality
of "Gnu High sideman" (a session I understand he was uncomfortable
with) or as tantalizing as imagining a recording of Miles with
Hendrix, but it's a minor thought I've had to want hear Keith
slumming here and there a few more times. It's easy enough to be
satisfied though with his much variegated actual output.

One other curiosity some of you may be familiar with is this account
(I see the Web page is still live) of a 20-year old Keith wowing
people with "Tangerine" at a private party (photo and MP3 provided):
http://www.tedknowlton.com/music/Keith.htm

Related afterthought: the Chick and Nancy Wilson duo track from
Echoes of an Era 2 ("My One and Only Love"). Worth seeking out Chick
in an interesting dialogue with a good singer on what sounds like an
impromptu standard...

Chris Jentsch
Brooklyn NY
http://www.ChrisJentsch.com/