[JPL] Esperana Spalding in the NEWS

Tom Mallison tomthejazzman at embarqmail.com
Thu Nov 3 17:35:18 EDT 2011

This was sent to me by a listeners and I thought it was so good I should
share it also.  Tom

  Esperanza says 'yes' to giving the Smithsonian her dress

By: Nikki Schwab <http://washingtonexaminer.com/people/nikki-schwab> and
Katy Adams <http://washingtonexaminer.com/people/katy-adams> | 10/17/11
2:57 PM
/Examiner Staff Writer/ | /Follow on Twitter @NikkiSchwab
<http://www.twitter.com/NikkiSchwab>/
Esperanza Spalding describes the dress she wore at the 2009 Nobel Peace
Prize Ceremony honoring President Obama (Photo Associated Press).
<http://washingtonexaminer.com/files/blog_images/EsperanzaSpalding.jpg>

It was hard to believe that Grammy Award-winning jazz musician
*Esperanza Spalding* didn't prepare the remarks she made Monday, as she
donated her 2009 Nobel Peace Prize ceremony dress to the Smithsonian
National Museum of American History. "I didn't really expect to speak,
so I hope I can improvise something of value," the 26-year-old said,
before wowing the crowd by quoting *Duke Ellington* and *Mary Lou
Williams* and proving herself a colorful storyteller.

"When I found out last minute that the president would like me to come
and perform I was in a place where I couldn't get a gown, I didn't have
anything to wear," she began. "Being the Oregonians that we are, [we
are] very hands on, crunchy, in the house," Spalding said. Her mother
procured the long red gown and altered it the night before Spalding
headed to Norway.

"So the night of the performance I'm getting the dress out to put it on
and all the sudden I notice all these oily fingerprints all over the
dress because my mom only uses natural moisurizers," Spalding said. "She
contributed too," she joked. (The smudges, for the record, were cleaned
off before the performance).

The songstress also discussed her chance meeting with *President Obama*
after the Oslo ceremony. "I thought I was leaving and security said,
'don't move'...and the next thing I know the president, the first lady,
the prime minister of Norway and his wife all entered the room," she
recalled. "I didn't want to be that person that tried to get close to
the president so I stood back to the wall, like this, and tried not to
be seen."

We're guessing it wasSpalding's trademark 'do that gave her away.

"The president just said they were very grateful and happy to see me and
I felt a tremendous warmth," she said. "And then I was released by
security."

Read more at the Washington Examiner:
http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/yeas-nays/2011/10/esperanza-says-yes-giving-smithsonian-her-dress#ixzz1cg91S5gX