[JPL] Fundrasing

Blaise Lantana blantana at rioradio.org
Thu Nov 3 22:50:29 EDT 2011

We make less than we'd like. I think the goals are higher and we rarely
make them.  Last goal for a four and a half day fall drive was around
650,000, and we raised around 525,000 I think.

There have been programming changes and we have been using different
methods of fund raising.  Less prepared scripts and more spontaneous talk.

Management tells us we are doing OK but they have added numerous little
drives that we didn't need before. We have a Christmas drive, a special
drive for our new news division.  We are also spending more money for
reporters so I don't know the exact budget considerations.

One interesting thing is that our development dept.  gets a great prize,
through donation or at a reduced price.  Last time we gave away a trip to
Argentina, air fare, hotel and tango tours. Everyone who called in with a
pledge, or those who just called in were entered into the contest. Then at
the end of the drive they pull a winner!  A lot of the on air time was
given to what a great trip this would be, as opposed to talking about
programming.  We don't usually do premiums, but we might give away a CD for
the Christmas drive.

How are you doing?

Blaise Lantana
Music Director