[JPL] Zenph "re-performance"

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 19:29:47 EDT 2011

I think it's ironic that not only do young up and coming artists have to
compete with "the great jazz catalogue" but now they have to compete with
new releases (!) from the same artists; what are the legal/copyright
issues, is it considered to be the original artists playing? (That
certainly appears to be the way that it's being marketed.)  Do their
estates get royalties? ... N

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Eric Gruner <eric at jazz901.org> wrote:

> Very interesting, from a technological standpoint all answers have said
> nothing about the fact that the music is being played by a machine...  not
> a human being.        So....... everyone OK with that?      Who's planning
> to )or planning not to) give it airplay?   (and I'd  love to hear some
> musicians chime in on this)
>

> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 4:08 PM, <EdBride at aol.com> wrote:
>

> > That's about right; another very nice example of this is Tatum's
> > "Yesterdays," around which Gordon Goodwin wrote a big band arrangement.
> >  It's terrific
> >
> > Ed
> >

> > In a message dated 11/4/2011 4:05:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> > tom at joelocke.com writes:
> >

> > Louis' answer seems to be the best.
> > I took the photographs  that are used in the tray card (although I
> > haven't received the  finished product yet).
> >
> > My photographs, are from the actual concert that  was recorded, so
> > it's a nice tie in.
> > That concert was in  Rochester, Eric!
> >
> > Here's a link for more  information:http://www.zenph.com/the-music/
> > artists/oscar-peterson
> >
> > Best to all,
> >
> > Tom
> >

> > Tom  Marcello
> > Manager / Joe Locke
> > 5 Windscape Park
> > Pittsford, New York  14534-3200
> >
> > tom at joelocke.com
> > www.joelocke.com
> > (585)721-4722
> >

> > On  Nov 4, 2011, at 11:04 AM, Louis Erlanger wrote:
> >

> > > I attended  a Zenph demo a number of years ago. They reproduced an
> > > Art  Tatum
> > > recording. It was fantastic technology. What they did then, and  have
> > > probably improved upon since, is analyze, through software  and
> > > using people,
> > > an existing recording and they log  all of its nuances -- notes, touch,
> > > rhythm, phrasing, etc.  They  have a piano that is equipped with a
> > > device
> > > that  translates that analysis back to the keys of the piano. So it
> > >  is really
> > > a very advanced player piano that reproduces not just the  notes,
> > > but the
> > > actual way the original player attacked  the notes and approached
> > > the music.
> > > They then record  this piano playing in a recording studio, thereby
> > >  creating
> > > a pristine re-make of the original recording, sans  scratches,
> > > clicks and
> > > distortion.   They may  have since moved this to other instruments
>  too.
> > >

> > --

> Eric Gruner
> JAZZ 90.1