[JPL] Zenph "re-performance"

Louis Erlanger louisx at myfairpoint.net
Fri Nov 4 21:41:50 EDT 2011

Any type of recording is a representation of an artist, not the artist
himself.  It is played using: a groove and a needle; a laser and a disk; the
equivalent of ones and zeros on a magnetic hard drive.  What's the
difference between those and Zenph --- IF Zenph is doing a good job
capturing the performance? There are plenty of BAD recordings of great jazz
players -- using bad microphones, bad recording equipment, etc.  I would say
they are less representative of the original artist than a good recording by
Zenph.  Sure it's a weird concept.  No doubt about that. But it sounds good.