[JPL] Playlist: Vinyl Side of Midnight

Mike Stratton dreamtrane at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 18:34:46 EST 2011

11/6/11

JEFF SHOUP (1st hour)
TERRI PONTREMOLI TRIBUTE (3rd hour)

Tonight features a visit from local drummer Jeff Shoup. Jeff holds a
regular gig at Stober’s bar on Michigan avenue on Tuesday nights, from 10
p.m. - 1 a.m. He’s filled in with organissimo as well as other local bands.
And he was the host of the Jazz Spectrum jazz radio program at WDBT (back
when they played jazz). Jeff will also be hosting the jam session at the
Jazz Alliance of Mid-Michigan mixer on Saturday, Nov. 12th at Reo Town’s
Art Alley (1133 S. Washington). This is a membership drive, and your cover
is also your annual dues, which gives you up to date info on jazz gigs in
the area, and an opportunity for great publicity, as well as helping with
scholarships and the annual JAMM tribute concert. Students are free.

The third hour of the show will be a tribute to past Detroit Jazz Festival
director Terri Pontremoli. I had the good luck to interview Terri several
times on the show and she did a really great job coordinating some of the
best jazz festivals I’ve ever attended. The board has decided not to renew
Terri’s contract, for whatever reason. We can only hope the DJF will find a
way to match Ms. Pontremoli’s passion and vision. But tonight, the final
hour is a tribute to her contributions.

Set list:

Interview w/Jeff Shoup
(who knows what music Jeff will bring in? It’s a mystery to me...)

Second hour:

Esperanza Spalding - Knowledge of Good & Evil; CHAMBER MUSIC SOCIETY
(Head’s Up)
Ben Williams - November; STATE OF ART (Concord Records)
Dara Tucker - Easy to Love; SOUL SAID YES (WMG)

Maureen Choi - ‘Round Midnight; QUARTET
Gerald Beckett - After The Morning; STANDARD FLUTE (Summit Records)
Lola Regenthal - This Masquerade; WITH YOU (Origin Records)
Laura Kahle - Sweets; CIRCULAR (Dark Key Music)

Poncho Sanchez & Terrence Blanchard - Nocturna; CHANO Y DIZZY! (Concord
Records)
Yotam - Nocturno; BRASIL (Jazz Legacy Productions)
Francisco Mela - The Nearness of You; TREE OF LIFE  (Half Note Records)

Third hour: TRIBUTE to Terri Pontremoli

Christian McBride’s Inside Straight - Brother Mister; KIND OF BROWN (Mack
Avenue Records)
Christian McBride Big Band - I Should Care; THE GOOD FEELING (Mack Avenue
Records)
Jeff “Tain” Watts - Family; FAMILY (Dark Key Music)

Mulgrew Miller - It Never Entered My Mind; THE SEQUEL (Max Jazz)
Corea, Clarke & White - On Green Dolphin Street; FOREVER (Concord Records)

Abbey Lincoln & Hank Jones - Cest Si Bon; WHEN THERE IS LOVE (Verve)
Hank Jones - Ruby, My Dear; MASTER CLASS (32 Jazz)

Regina Carter - Kothbiro; REVERSE THREAD (E1 Music)
Regina Carter - Cinema Paradiso; PAGANINI: AFTER A DREAM (Verve)

This is the playlist for this week’s Vinyl Side of Midnight, which can be
heard on 89.7 FM WLNZ in the Greater Lansing area, or you can tune in
internationally on the web on  http://www.lcc.edu/radio/ - hosted by Mike
Stratton, Sunday nights, 9- midnight, Eastern Standard Time.
Feel free to forward this to friends.
If you’ve received this and would like to be removed from the list simply
contact me at dreamtrane at gmail.com