[JPL] Sad passages

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Mon Nov 7 06:30:52 EST 2011

We gave Norris good coverage this week in Jazz a la Mode, and my
colleague Kari Njiiri featured him on Saturday night in Jazz Safari.
Kari saw Walter play a solo concert in Havana in 1998.  Alas, I never
saw him in person, but he's been a favorite for at least 20 years thanks
to the excellent series on Concord, including a Maybeck recital and a
great quartet date with Joe Henderson, possibly the edgiest music
Concord released under Carl Jefferson's watch.

Hodier...I was devastated by his attack on Duke Ellington's 1956
recording of Ko Ko ("Ellington Remaking His Masterpiece") which was one
of the first pieces of jazz criticism I encountered.   Still, I
respected the fact that Hodier was one of the first critics to treat
jazz /that/ seriously.

Gordon Beck made a nice record with Helen Merrill for Owl that includes
"I Love Paris" and a Beck tune, "I Love Paris Too."  Sunnyside released
it here years ago.

Tom

--
Tom Reney