[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Matt Mitchell & Tim Hagans

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Nov 7 08:14:24 EST 2011

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at
http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/111107_tjs_newsletter.pdf

...or read the text below:

Nov. 7, 2011

Hello friends!

The Jazz Session is member-supported, so if you like what you hear,
please join. Memberships start as low as $10/month or $110/year. SPECIAL
MEMBERSHIP OFFER: The next two people who join at the middle or top
level (yearly or monthly) will receive guitarist Anthony Wilson's new
DVD/CD set Seasons. This set captures a unique live performance by
Wilson along with Steve Cardenas, Julian Lage and Chico Pinheiro,
performing on a quartet of custom guitars built by John Monteleone. It's
an incredible performance that can be yours via
http://thejazzsession.com/join

I've written more new poems:
"Tohoku" http://bit.ly/tFuxVC
"passing notes" http://bit.ly/soB6O5
...and you can still hear the audio recording of my recent reading near
Albany, NY: http://bit.ly/vs283n

I use Twitter to send out show and interview updates, live notes from
concerts and more. If you'd like to follow me on Twitter, visit
http://twitter.com/jasondcrane.

Next week on the show: Joan Stiles (Monday, 11/14) and Andrea Wolper
(Thursday, 11/17).

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
THIS WEEK ON THE JAZZ SESSION
*********************************

TJS #322: Matt Mitchell. Pianist Matt Mitchell has been making a name
for himself in the bands of Tim Berne, John Hollenbeck and Darius Jones,
among others. In this interview, Mitchell talks about finding his place
in the bands of composers with strong visions; how a set of self-penned
practice pieces became duet performance vehicles; and why he may finally
be ready to record his first album. SHOW AVAILABLE NOW.

TJS #323: Tim Hagans. Trumpeter Tim Hagans' new CD is The Moon Is
Waiting. In this interview, Hagans talks about his special relationship
with his drummer of choice; how he worked with a choreographer to write
some of the music on the new album; and how he's evolved over the years
as a composer for large and small ensembles. SHOW AVAILABLE 11/10/11.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/jasondcrane

RSS Feed: http://thejazzsession.com/feed/?category_name=podcast

iTunes: itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast