[Norton AntiSpam]Re: [JPL] Zenph "re-performance"

Louis Erlanger louisx at myfairpoint.net
Mon Nov 7 11:24:50 EST 2011

I'm not sure there's that much difference between what Zenph is doing and
"cleaning up" old recordings. When you clean up old recordings you remove
tiny sections, you change equalization, you compress portions. That's all
messing with the original tone of the music. Hell, two different microphones
will reproduce music with two different tones.  Microphone placement changes
the sound.  When you had turntables, not every turntable was exactly same
speed, so that intermediary messed with pitch and tempo.  Varying qualities
of mastering, listening devices, compressed files in iTunes -- they all
change the quality of the reproduction.  Saxophones and trumpets sound so
brittle to me in many mp3 files that I can't listen to them.  If Zenph loses
the swing, that's a serious problem, but some of the other complaints? I
disagree.