[Norton AntiSpam]Re: [JPL] Zenph "re-performance"

Eric Gruner eric at jazz901.org
Tue Nov 8 06:57:12 EST 2011

I agree, I somehow feel cheated out of a real performance.   Here's a quote
from an conversation with an acquaintance that I had off list:  "I think of
it outside of the “jazzworld” more of a side-show spectacle but not in a
bad way. If this curiosity gets someone interest in jazz, Oscar or
improvising I’m all for it."   Again,  interesting from a technological
standpoint, but I'd rather hear Marian Petrescu interpret  ( or
"recreate")   an Oscar Peterson composition, perhaps bringing something new
to it, than to hear a machine "re-perform" anything.   Additionally, I'd
rather play a new release that might include some original compositions.
Sam Yahel .. maybe?   :)  There's way too many of those that get passed
on.

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Bradley Stone <stonebradley1 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Aloha,
>
> It may be "good science" and fantastic technology (I agree, from a
> scientific perspective), but there is something kind of disturbing to me
> about this - I felt that way when I first read about it, too -  and I'm not
> sure that I can articulate precisely what it is.
>
> I think I would rather play an old Art Tatum record, scratches and maybe
> even bad piano and all.  I would also rather play a new artist, composing
> his/her own new compositions, quite frankly.
>
> The light is on,
>
> Brad Stone
>

> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Louis Erlanger <louisx at myfairpoint.net
> >wrote:
>

> > Already have, and I stand by my opinion. I'm not young any more and I've
> > seen many new technologies take hold, and each one generated the same
> kind
> > of arguments against it. Of course, there's nothing like being in the
> same
> > room with the musician who is playing, but when that's not possible, all
> > the alternatives have their drawbacks and in the end the ears and heart
> are
> > the only good judges. Mine tell me Zenph is on to a promising idea.
> >

> > -----Original Message----- From: EdBride at aol.com
> > Sent: Monday, November 07, 2011 11:36 AM
> > To: jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
> > Subject: Re: [Norton AntiSpam]Re: [JPL] Zenph "re-performance"
> >

> > Are you talking about the process or the result?
> >
> > If you visit their website, you will easily discover that there's a world
> > of difference in the process and in the reproduction (I like that term
> > "re-performance") of the sound. In fact, if you review the messages on
> this
> > thread, you will see the differences articulated.
> >
> > Ed
> >

> > In a message dated 11/7/2011 11:25:22 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> > louisx at myfairpoint.net writes:
> >

> > I'm  not sure there's that much difference between what Zenph is doing
> and
> > "cleaning up" old recordings.
> >

> > --

> http://lists.jazzweek.com/pipermail/jazzproglist/>
> >

> > --

> http://lists.jazzweek.com/pipermail/jazzproglist/>

> Dr. Brad Stone
> Music Director (Jazz, World, Blues) and Faculty Advisor
> KSJS-FM
> San Jose State University
> San Jose, CA   95192-0094
>
> 9381 Durango Lane, Gilroy, CA   95020
> Music Calls: Weds., 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., PT
> home office: (408) 337-1655

Eric Gruner
2 hours of Jazz Host 9am - 11am
JAZZ 90.1