[JPL] Medeski, Martin & Wood 20th Anniversary Celebration...This Week on MOJA Radio!

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Nov 8 09:09:00 EST 2011

Russ Davis here, and this week we’ll spend much of our time in celebration of the 20th anniversary of one of MEDESKI, MARTIN & WOOD, one of the greatest groups in MOJA, but first we’ll focus on the great trumpeter, composer, bandleader and unique musical visionary, Dave Douglas, on Monday With The Masters. As the week-long MMW salute begins we’ll enjoy 2006 live performances by MMW with John Scofield from the brand new album MSMW: In Case The World Changes Its Mind-LIVEon Live @ MOJALand. More cuts from that one, plus two other new releases, are part of this week’s edition of The All New Music Renue. We’ll salute 5 great artists who were both stars of Rock AND Fusion on Fusion Friday, and spend the day with John Medeski, Billy Martin & Chris Wood on Saturday’s Words & Music. Plus you’ll also get our weekly feature focusing on Acid Jazz and the Jazzy Jambands, which will feature the many sides of MMW over the years each day.

MOJA Radio is a subscription service but there’s a free side to MOJA Radio too and everyone’s invited to enjoy any of those free features found on the MOJA Radio homepage. Just look for the links to see interviews and live performance video on our MOJA Vision channel, read all about MOJA on our MOJA Radio Blog Site (I just posted a new one covering Steven Bernstein and a live performance by his Millennial Territory Orchestra of the new MTO Plays SLY album), and hear my weekly program JAZZ AMERICA on Voice of America as well as a 1 ½ hour sample of MOJA all by clicking on the correct link. Plus now we are offering a free download of the only live performance available to date by the brilliant RTF IV.  Just click on the logo and a live version of Senor Mouse recorded in Australia is yours! Spread the word!  Now, here’s what’s up this week…

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (7-13 November 2011)

This Monday, November 7th, we presented another edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS onMOJA Radio. And this time we focused on one of the most inventive trumpeters, composers, bandleaders and musical visionaries in MOJA, DAVE DOUGLAS! We learned of Dave’s beginnings in the New York City area, his education and travels around the world. We heard how after working with Horace Silver he struck out on his own as a solo artist and entrepreneur who now operates his own record company, Greenleaf music. We heard the variety in his musical approach that incorporates everything from acoustic, more traditional styles, to electric groove music to jazztronica.  We heard his stories and of course we gave you an hour of his incredible music. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we placed our MOJA spotlight on one of MOJA’s most versatile players and composers, DAVE DOUGLAS!

In the Mid-1980’s when fusion had faded and the softer side of things began to permeate the radio with the emergence of contemporary jazz, a fun, up and funky trend sprang out of the clubs and concert halls of England that brought new life to jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen to our special feature THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio! You can hear it twice every Tuesday at 9 AM and again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST as part of the Sunday Specials.  The phrase Acid Jazz came from the famous English DJ Gilles Peterson and each week you’ll hear not only the music of the English groups he discovered, but artists from the USA and around the world that joined in on a movement whose repercussions still reverberate today, and the words of Mr. Peterson himself! So if you can’t get enough of that funky stuff come and get it on THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio!

Back in the day when rock bands like The Grateful Dead and The Allman Brothers Band took their songs on long, improvised journeys and in essence incorporated jazz elements, the stage was set for what became a major part of what we call MOJA…jambands and especially those who set out primarily to make jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen five times each week to the newest feature on MOJA Radio, ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS! You can hear it at NOON East/9 AM West every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, plus twice on Sunday at NOON Eastern/9 AM Pacific and Midnight EAST/9 PM West as part of the Sunday Specials.  Following The Dead & The Allmans came Phish then grunge from Seattle.  At the same time American Acid Jazz artists like Karl Denson & Robert Walter started attracting the same fans. Those fans began to follow Galactic and other new artists from NOLA, Medeski, Martin & Wood, John Scofield and the great artists of the North West like Skerik, and San Francisco-area groove artists like Charlie Hunter & Will Bernard! It’s jazz mixed with prog rock and punk, funk and groove, heavy metal and alternative rock. The fans of this music don’t need lyrics, they need the groove and you’ll get it all if you join us for ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS five times each week on MOJA Radio! And this week, as part of our celebration of the 20th anniversary of Medeski, Martin & Wood, we’ll feature some of MMW’s finest work over the years as well as cuts from the second Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood release, the brand new album MSMW: In Case The World Changes Its Mind-LIVE!

LIVE @ MOJALandhappens 4 times each week on MOJA Radio as we invite you to join us inside the world's only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen Wednesday morning at 9 AM/6 AM Pacific and Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific,  & twice on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM Eastern, as part of the Sunday Specials. This week we’re celebrating the 20th anniversary of those intrepid musical travelers, Medeski, Martin & Wood on MOJA Radio, so it’s appropriate that we give you some of the incredible live performances with the great John Scofield from a new album as we present MEDESKI, SCOFIELD, MARTIN & WOOD: ON TOUR 2006!  MMW first joined with Sco for his 1998 release A Go Go, and the quartet recorded again 8 years later on the album Out Louder under the name Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood. During the year of that release they toured the world together and now we have the brand new album featuring performances from that tour titled MSMW: In Case The World Changes Its Mind including tunes from their two albums together like “Hanuman,” “Little Walter Rides Again,” “Miles Behind,” and more! If you’d like to hear what it sounds likejoin us for MEDESKI, SCOFIELD, MARTIN & WOOD: ON TOUR 2006 this week on LIVE @ MOJALand!

Join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of nothing but the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE every Thursday at 9 AM East/6 AM West with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM ET.  We’ve got music from 3 brilliant new releases to spring on you this week and we’ll kick the hour off with music from the the new album MSMW: In Case The World Changes Its Mind-LIVE, the second Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood album and part of our week-long celebration of the 20th Anniversary of Medeski, Martin & Wood in 2011.  Then we’ll hear more from the new Bob Belden all-star project titled Miles Espanol: New Sketches of Spain, featuring special guests like Scofield, Chick Corea, Ron Cater, Jack DeJohnette, Eddie Gomez and many more as they present music inspired by Miles Davis’s classic release Sketches Of Spain. And it’s East Meets West on the album Suno Suno, which means “Listen, Listen” in the Urdu language, from Pakistani-born and USA-raised guitarist Rez Abbasi investigating the union of Jazz and South Asian music with the help of his group Invocation featuring Vijay Iyer and Rudresh Mahanthappa. So, if you want to keep up with all the newest MOJA, listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week! Here’s what you’ll hear this week…
ARTIST…SONG…ALBUM (LABEL)
Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood…A Go Go…MSMW Live (Indirecto)
Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood…Tootie Ma Is A Big Fine Thing…MSMW Live (Indirecto)
Bob Belden & Friends…Trampolin…Miles Espanol (E One)
Bob Belden & Friends…Spantango…Miles Espanol (E One)
Rez Abbasi…Monuments…Suno Suno (Enja)
Rez Abbasi…Nusrat…Suno Suno (Enja)

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION. This Friday we’ll salute five major contributors to the fusion era who first made their names as rock stars with a special feature we call “ROCK STARS, FUSION STARS.” Jeff Beck was a member of The Yardbirds then embraced his jazzy, instrumental side. Jimi Hendrix and his trio had taken the world by storm and then he turned to a bluesy instrumental side even jamming with jazzers at The Brecker Brothers New York jazz club 7th Avenue South and even with Miles Davis.  Carlos Santana’s band fused Latin & Rock with Jazz and gained stardom, and he recorded some of his finest work with John McLaughlin. Frank Zappa’s guitar work was equaled only by his unique musical vision, realized with the help of an array of jazz players like George Duke and Jean-Luc Ponty. And guitar gunslinger Tommy Bolin of the group The James Gang was considered the favorite guitarist of fusion great, and collaborator, Billy Cobham. Each of these men had two things in common…their huge contribution to Rock history as well as to the Jazz Fusion Era.  It’s “ROCK STARS, FUSION STARS,”on this week’s edition ofIF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

This Saturday, November 5th, we’ll continue a week-long celebration of the 20th anniversary of one of the greatest bands in  MOJA as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one titled “MEDESKI, MARTIN & WOOD: TWENTY GLORIOUS YEARS!” When John Medeski & Chris Wood met up with Billy Martin in Billy’s Brooklyn loft in June of 1991 they said the right things to put in motion a musical relationship that has been pure MOJA gold and has lasted now for two decades. Judging by their incredible output and schedule of events recently there is gladly no end in sight. Join Russ Davis for various backstage conversations he’s enjoyed over the years with the guys as they tell the story of how those early conversations to create an acoustic trio turned into one of the most inventive groups that MOJA has ever known. Not only will you hear John, Billy & Chris tell the story but you’ll hear songs from their three latest releases, the download-only release 20 and two great live releases, The Stone, recorded live in Japan in 2010, and their brand new collaboration with John Scofield titled MSMW: In Case The World Changes Its Mind-LIVE. Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific).  Join us for “MEDESKI, MARTIN & WOOD: TWENTY GLORIOUS YEARS” on this week’s WORDS & MUSIC.

Twice every Sunday listen for four of our most popular special features on what we callTHE SUNDAY SPECIALS here onMOJA Radio. At 9 AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on THIS IS ACID JAZZfollowed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside the world’s only imaginary modern jazz club for rare, live performances onLIVE @ MOJALAND. Then we’ll wrap it all up at Noon and Midnight East/9 AM & 9 PM West with an encore airing of an hour of Jamband Jazz with ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS.So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALStwice every Sunday from 9 AM to 1 PM Eastern, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to 1 AMEastern/6-10 PM Pacific onMOJA Radio!

Russ Davis
Voice of America
MOJA Radio
www.mojaradio.com