[JPL] Fundrasing

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 19:58:37 EST 2011

Blue Lake never announces an on air goal. We mention our operating
budget, under $800,000 for the year, and that %50 of that needs to
come from listeners during the fiscal year. Each drive is a week long,
Friday to Friday, and we do two per year: last full week of April,
last full week of October. This October between a pre on-air funder
membership mailing and the on-air hustle we raised a little more than
$133,000, which is a bit low but still in the ball park for a Blue
Lake funder (low is $126, high $146). Thanks to Mike Carlson and Kate
Smith for offering so many CD's for premiums (we offer CD's as a
premium, as well as Day Sponsorship announcements, and change them in
the day parts; one CD a night for jazz, and a CD we buy at cost for
our Saturday morning jazz program, which this year raised around
$6,000). Night time pledging was deadsville up to the last night when
it went bananas. We stop fundraising at midnight and go to Parlocha as
I'm on the air from 5 p.m. to midnight during the funder, to double
shift the news, as opposed to the "usual" 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. M-F
hosting jazz.  For some reason a big slice of our on-air audience
decided to wait until the very last day of the funder to pledge,
$22,000 on that last day.

Here's to the radio station at Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp in the
Manistee National Forest of western lower Michigan -- we haven't caved
to the news/talk/NPR format but offer classical music, NPR news in
drive time, but still only an hour and a half of ATC, and night time
and weekend jazz, with bluegrass on Saturday night. The 7 full time
staff members at the station are delighted our audience wants us to
keep it that way.