[JPL] George Tillman Jr. to Direct Miles Davis Biopic

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Wed Nov 9 20:56:37 EST 2011

George Tillman Jr. to Direct Miles Davis Biopic
The director has been hired to develop and direct a feature film about
the legendary jazz musician, tentatively titled "Miles." Nick Davis
Raynes and Ged Dickersin are producing with help from the late
trumpeter's eldest son, Gregory.

Notorious helmer George Tillman, Jr. has been hired to develop and
direct a feature film about legendary jazz musician Miles Davis,
tentatively titled Miles. The late trumpeter's eldest son, Gregory
Davis, will consult on the film.

A central figure on the music scene for nearly fifty years, Davis was a
perpetual innovator who collaborated with many of the jazz greats, from
Charlie Parker and John Coltrane to Gil Evans and Thelonious Monk. His
addiction to drugs nearly derailed his career, but he persevered as a
major influence on other musicians until his death in 1991.

Nick Davis Raynes and Ged Dickersin are producing the project, which is
loosely based on the book Dark Magus: The Jekyll and Hyde Life of Miles
Davis, written by Gregory Davis. Isaac Fergusson wrote the original
draft of the screenplay, but the filmmakers are further developing the
script.

"Our intention is to make a feature film that will appeal beyond the
worldwide audience of Miles Davis die-hard fans, to also include those
who don't know the first thing about the man, and introduce new ears to
his music," said Raynes. "In much the same way that Walk The Line and
Ray were able to open the world's eyes to the life stories of Johnny
Cash and Ray Charles, respectively, we want to make a film that will do
the same justice for Miles Davis. Miles, in his fifty-year career as a
musician, transcends time, space and race."

Actor Don Cheadle, who portrayed Sammy Davis Jr. in the 1998 HBO film
The Rat Pack, has been trying for years to jumpstart a Miles Davis
biopic to direct, produce and star in. That project was once set up at
Overture Films but is still looking for traction.

The CAA-repped Tillman has directed the films Faster, Men of Honor and
Soul Food. Tillman also directed the biopic of hip-hop artist Notorious
B.I.G., Notorious, in 2009.

"I trust George Tillman and Nick Raynes will tell the true story of my
father -- without any sugar-coating," said Gregory Davis. "My father was
an amazing man who believed in the promise of America. I know this film
will do him justice."

--
Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations