[JPL] classic photos from Lennie's on the Turnpike

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Thu Nov 10 10:44:33 EST 2011

Thanks, Tom!

Great memories!
I spent many a night traveling up Route 1 from Boston to West Peabody, MA. to hear and see  great music at Lennie's.
I remember a night when Charles Mingus was playing: Charles McPherson, Lonnie Hillyer, Walter Bishop, Jr, Dannie Richmond.
Sue Mingus was also there selling a 2-LP set that they had just put out on their own label, Mingus Music. It was a limited edition, a small number of copies made. "Mingus at Monterey." I've seen it recently on line for anywhere from $160.00 to almost #1,000.
I also have pictures that I took that night. Other photos in my collection from Lennie's include more Abbey Lincoln, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Illinois Jacquet. I'll have to dig those pictures out! Lennie Sogoloff, THANK YOU!!!