[JPL] classic photos from Lennie's on the Turnpike

Eric Jackson eric_jackson1 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 10 15:53:37 EST 2011

Tom Marcello posted those pictures on my Facebook page on Monday.

I started on the air on B.U.'s AM station in February 1969, just 2 weeks
after my 19th birthday. I only went to Lennie's once. That was in the
spring of 1970. A friend had her parents' van and so 3 of us drove the
15 miles to Lennie's. But we were broke. We didn't have any money.
Rashaan was playing that night and I guess we were planning on trying to
listen in the lobby. I had never met Lennie at that time but he saw us
in the lobby and he let us in for free. It was a great night.

It turned out to be a very big night for me. On the way home we were
listening to WBUR and Oscar Jackson ( no relation) was on the air. The
station had another jazz announcer named Eric Levin. You can see his
picture on Ornette's Live At Prince Street recording. While listening to
Oscar that night I told my friends that I wanted to go to WBUR and meet
Oscar because I was going to get a show on that station. I met him that
night and he told me that Eric was about to leave the station. He asked
me to get my radio license and to meet him one day at the station for an
audition.As it turned out, Oscar arrived so late that the studio was
busy by the time he got there. We talked about music for a long time.
Finally Oscar just told me to come to the station the next time that he
was on and he would be there and he would put on the air that night!
That's what happened. That was my first paying radio gig. I got paid
minimum wage for 4 hours a week! If I remember correctly that was $12.00.

I did spent a lot of listening hours in at the Jazz Workshop and Paull's
Mall during the 70s when I worked at WBCN. We did weekly live broadcast
from those clubs and I usually hosted them. I met just about everybody
who played there. In fact, many of the guys used to stay at my apartment.

Eric Jackson
WGBH Boston
Mon -Thurs 8 PM - Mid
Sunday 10 PM - Mid.