[JPL] Q about another Boston jazz club

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Thu Nov 10 18:20:48 EST 2011

There was a South End club called Connolly's where Steve Schwartz hung
out.  I suppose you could conflate Scullers and Connolly's and come up
with Scully's.  But as Eric says, there was also Scolley Square, center
of burlesque in Boston, now Government Center.  (Does that represent
progress?) Bechet played a show there around 1920 and dated Johnny
Hodges' sister at the time.

On 11/10/2011 6:02 PM, Eric Jackson wrote:

> On 11/10/2011 05:21 PM, Arturo Gomez wrote:
>>
>> Great photos of Lennie's, I enjoyed viewing them. I always here
>> veteran jazz artists and fans talk about a Boston jazz club of the
>> past, Scully's, supposedly on "the other side of the tracks". Eric,
>> Steve, Tom et al any stories and or photos about that Beantown night
>> spot?
>
> Hi Arturo,
>
> I've never heard of a club named Scully's. There is a club here now
> called Scullers. It's been around for about 25 years. It's located in
> the Double Tree Hotel. Years ago there was an area of Boston called
> Scully Square. There was a lot of music there. I believe the young
> Johnny Hodges met his idol Sidney Bechet there.
>

> Eric Jackson
> WGBH Boston
> Mon -Thurs 8 PM - Mid
> Sunday 10 PM - Mid.
> www.wgbh.org/listen/jazz.cfm
>

>> Arturo Gómez
>> Music Director
>> The Oasis In The City, The Front Range and the High Country!
>> jazz89KUVO 89.3FM DENVER, 89.7FM BRECKENRIDGE, KVJZ 88.5FM VAIL
>> Colorado's First HD FM Radio Station
>> Celebrating 16 Years of Live Performances!
>>

>> --

Tom Reney

Jazz à la Mode
Monday-Friday 8-11 p.m.