[JPL] Q about another Boston jazz club

Arturo Gomez arturo at kuvo.org
Fri Nov 11 10:56:48 EST 2011

Tom wrote <<< as Eric says, there was also Scolley Square, center
of burlesque in Boston, now Government Center.  (Does that represent
progress?) Bechet played a show there around 1920 and dated Johnny
Hodges' sister at the time.  >>>

Obviously my memory blended Scolley Square with the name of the club, but that is the area I was told there was a club. An area known for its roughness, bars, burlesque, sailors on leave hang out etc etc. Wasn't there a jazz club in that vecinity in the 1950s?

Arturo Gómez
Music Director
The Oasis In The City, The Front Range and the High Country!
jazz89KUVO 89.3FM DENVER, 89.7FM BRECKENRIDGE, KVJZ 88.5FM VAIL
Colorado's First HD FM Radio Station