[JPL] Cecil Taylor, All the Notes (2004 documentary)

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 11 14:06:15 EST 2011

Lazaro, the version Lena is singing of "A Sleepin Bee" is from her "Being Myself" release...which was one of her final recordings...if not her last. Check this YouTube clip of the track...
http://youtu.be/4oAI-0lKQrw

It's interesting in that the ear is so conditioned to hearing harmony in conventional structures. Ninety something percent of anyone who plays western music hears, plays and writes it this way. Think about someone with perfect pitch...which is usually centered around A440. They don't hear the Ab a quarter tone sharp or flat. That comes from our western tonal center and is beaten into our brain cracks. Some other places might have it at A445. Scales or Ragas in India are structured and sound differently...etc. So when a musician from the states ulitlizes harmony outside of conventional interpretation...as Cecil does...it makes it a challenge to listen to him because how are flabbers are conditioned. While a Bb remains a Bb in his music it's that notes relationship to others in space and time that separates what he's doing from most others. That was one of the most interesting things about this doc...to hear him explain why and how he chose to think
 out of the box...against convention musical wisdom I will add. That takes a lot of courage but it reflects a musician so deeply connected to his art that it's about as pure of a connection that I've seen or heard. Doesn't matter if I like it or not...I appreciate his process for getting there.

Jae Sinnett