[JPL] Q about another Boston jazz club

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Sat Nov 12 08:49:54 EST 2011

Here is a memory of Connolly's that I posted to JazzCorner a few years ago:

THE place as far as I was concerned was Connolly's Stardust room on Tremont
and Ruggles Streets in the South End. Maybe becasue it was the first place I was
old enough to get into. I was eighteen in 1960.
The only time I ever saw
Eric Dolphy was there. Herbie Hancock played piano.
Dexter Gordon, Horace Silver
Quintet with Junior Cook and Blue Mitchell, Yusef Lateef, Roland Kirk (Horace Parlan on Piano)
all played there regularly.
Sam Rivers led a house band with a young, sixteen-year-old drummer,
Tony Williams.
I remember when Jackie McLean came in to play and Tony was on the gig.
Jackie kept looking behind him to see where all of this music was coming from.
He looked out at the audience and told us he was going to have to take this kid to New York.
He did just that. The rest is history.

Some of photographer Lee Tanner's finest photographs were taken at Connolly's

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cuyahogabend/2667567719/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12593032@N02/5829524233/