[JPL] Euro-Jazz in the spotight this week on MOJA Radio

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Nov 14 08:27:41 EST 2011

Russ Davis
Voice of America
MOJA Radio
www.mojaradio.com
davispro at nyc.rr.com

Russ Davis here, and this week we’ll begin things with one final celebration of the 20th anniversary of MEDESKI, MARTIN & WOOD, one of the greatest groups in MOJA, with an hour celebrating MMW’s great keyboard wiz John Medeski, on Monday With The Masters. Then we’ll spend much of our time celebrating the wonders of EURO-JAZZ with our special features. You’ll hear a rare live performance in Norway by local heroes Jaga Jazzist on Live @ MOJALand. You’ll get an hour of the sound of France on our feature This Is Acid Jazz. We’ll give you two great new examples of Euro-Jazz with the new import from Holland’s New Cool Collective titled Eighteen, followed by a powerful group from Belgium know as Machine Mass Trio as part of this week’s edition of The All New Music Renue. We’ll hear the greats of EURO-Fusion on Fusion Friday, and spend the day with three great MOJA artists based in Holland on Saturday’s Words & Music. Plus you’ll also get our weekly feature focusing on the Jazzy Jambands.

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (14-20 November 2011)

This Monday, November 14th, to close out the week-long celebration of the 20th anniversary of Medeski, Martin & Wood, we’ll present another edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. This time the focus is on the great keyboardist, composer, and member of one of the super-groups of MOJA, JOHN MEDESKI. You’ll hear of his career beginnings including his classical training, his move to the New York area and emergence in the downtown scene, his collaboration with the likes of David Fiuczynski and Matthew Ship and of course there’s plenty to cover with the incredible trio Medeski, Martin & Wood. Plus you’ll hear all of that fantastic music. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week the spotlight is on the great JOHN MEDESKI!

In the Mid-1980’s when fusion had faded and the softer side of things began to permeate the radio with the emergence of contemporary jazz, a fun, up and funky trend sprang out of the clubs and concert halls of England that brought new life to jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen to our special feature THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio! You can hear it twice every Tuesday at 9 AM and again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST as part of the Sunday Specials.  The phrase Acid Jazz came from the famous English DJ Gilles Peterson and each week you’ll hear not only the music of the English groups he discovered, but artists from the USA and around the world that joined in on a movement whose repercussions still reverberate today, and the words of Mr. Peterson himself! So if you can’t get enough of that funky stuff come and get it on THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio! ***Special Note…as we celebrate the wonders of EURO-JAZZ all week on MOJA Radio, listen for an hour of ACID JAZZ FROM FRANCE featuring the work of St. Germain, NoJazz, Eric Le Lann, CFM Band, Dimitri From Paris, Klement Julienne and more!

Back in the day when rock bands like The Grateful Dead and The Allman Brothers Band took their songs on long, improvised journeys and in essence incorporated jazz elements, the stage was set for what became a major part of what we call MOJA…jambands, and especially those who set out primarily to make jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen five times each week to the newest feature on MOJA Radio, ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS! You can hear it at NOON East/9 AM West every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, plus twice on Sunday at NOON Eastern/9 AM Pacific and Midnight EAST/9 PM West as part of the Sunday Specials.  Following The Dead & The Allmans came Phish then grunge from Seattle.  At the same time American Acid Jazz artists like Karl Denson & Robert Walter started attracting the same fans. Those fans began to follow Galactic and other new artists from NOLA, Medeski, Martin & Wood, John Scofield and the great artists of the North West like Skerik, and San Francisco-area groove artists like Charlie Hunter & Will Bernard! It’s jazz mixed with prog rock and punk, funk and groove, heavy metal and alternative rock. The fans of this music don’t need lyrics, they need the groove and you’ll get it all if you join us for ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS five times each week on MOJA Radio!

LIVE @ MOJALand happens 4 times each week on MOJA Radio as we invite you to join us inside the world's only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen Wednesday morning at 9 AM/6 AM Pacific and Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific,  & twice on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM Eastern, as part of the Sunday Specials. This week we’re celebrating the wonders of Euro-Jazz and will give you a rare, live show by one of Europe’s most inventive bands as we present MOJA Radio favorites JAGA JAZZIST: LIVE @ COSMOPOLITE, OSLO 2005!  As the group from Norway, who’d begun as teenagers, prepared to take a 5 year hiatus which would end with the release of the 2010 album One Armed Bandit, they decided to give their fans a treat by playing selected cuts from all their albums to that point in their hometown club The Cosmopolite. If you’d like to hear what that night was like join us for JAGA JAZZIST: LIVE @ COSMOPOLITE, OSLO 2005 this week on LIVE @ MOJALand!

Join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of nothing but the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE every Thursday at 9 AM East/6 AM West with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM ET.  We’ve got music from 5 fine new releases to spring on you this week and we’ll kick the hour off with music from the new album Conversations With Christian, featuring Christian McBride collaborating in duets with a number of musical greats as heard on his radio show of the same name. Then, as part of our week-long celebration of the wonders of MOJA coming out of Europe, we’ll give you two great new examples of Euro-Jazz with the new import from Holland’s New Cool Collective titled Eighteen, followed by a powerful group from Belgium know as Machine Mass Trio, that records for the ground-breaking MoonJune label, with their new one titled As Real As Thinking. We’ll top it off with projects from two fine guitarists and some special guests. It’s Anthony Papamichael and his Papamichael World Group on the album Open Heart, which features some of Atlanta’s finest players and special guests like Jeff Lorber plus Jimmy Haslip & Russell Ferrante of Yellowjackets followed by Joe Caro, New York-born but now based in Maui, with guests like Ricky Peterson, Will Lee and Anton Fig on his album Home Alone. So, if you want to keep up with all the newest MOJA, listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week! Here’s what you’ll hear this week…

ARTIST…SONG…ALBUM (LABEL)

·       Christian McBride & Sting…Consider Me Gone…Conversations w/ Christian (Mack Ave)
·       New Cool Collective…Voodoo Surf…Eighteen (Dox Records)
·       New Cool Collective…Jackpot…Eighteen (Dox Records)
·       Anthony Papamichael…Big Money…Open Heart (papamichael.com)
·       Anthony Papamichael…Chubata…Open Heart (papamichael.com)
·       Machine Mass Trio…Let Go…As Real As Thinking (MoonJune Records)
·       Machine Mass Trio…UFO-RA…As Real As Thinking (MoonJune Records)
·       Joe Caro…The Calling…Home Alone (Nutjob Records)
·       Joe Caro…Time…Home Alone (Nutjob Records)
·       New Cool Collective…Ogun…Eighteen (Dox Records)
·       New Cool Collective…Snarky…Eighteen (Dox Records)

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.  This week we’ll continue a week of focus on activities across the pond with a special feature we call “THE GREATS OF EURO-FUSION.” While Chick, Herbie, Miles and others were helping to define fusion in their homeland…the good ol’ USA…who was making fusion history over there…in the Old Country? You’ll hear Poland’s Michal Urbaniak, Englishmen Allan Holdsworth, Bill Bruford and John McLaughlin, Hungarian guitarist Gabor Szabo, Czechoslovakian keyboardist Jan Hammer, Frenchman Jean-Luc Ponty and a few other surprises.  It’s “THE GREATS OF EURO-FUSION,” on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

This Saturday, November 19th, we’ll continue a week-long celebration of the current state of new Jazz from across the pond as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one titled “EURO-JAZZ 2011: HELLO HOLLAND!” Join Russ Davis for some of the conversations he’s had with two talented ladies and one tremendous group from The Netherlands. You’ll hear from Amina Figarova and Candy Dulfer and enjoy their great music. We’ll place a special emphasis on that awesome group from Holland, New Cool Collective, who celebrate 18 years together with the release of their newest simply titled Eighteen, featuring this 8-piece powerhouse presenting all the styles they’ve become famous for from groove to African, to boogaloo to modern big band. Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific).  Join us for “EURO-JAZZ 2011: HELLO HOLLAND” on this week’s WORDS & MUSIC.

Twice every Sunday listen for four of our most popular special features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9 AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on THIS IS ACID JAZZ followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside the world’s only imaginary modern jazz club for rare, live performances on LIVE @ MOJALAND. Then we’ll wrap it all up at Noon and Midnight East/9 AM & 9 PM West with an encore airing of an hour of Jamband Jazz with ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday from 9 AM to 1 PM Eastern, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to 1 AMEastern/6-10 PM Pacific on MOJA Radio!

Russ Davis
MoJaRadio
“Jazz In The Present Tense!”
www.mojaradio.com