[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Andrea Wolper, Tim Hagans and Joan Stiles

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Nov 14 10:20:09 EST 2011

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at
http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/111114_tjs_newsletter.pdf

...or read the text below:

Nov. 14, 2011

Hello friends!

Programming Note: Last week got away from me and I made only one show,
so I'm putting a bonus show on the schedule this week: Andrea Wolper
(11/14), Tim Hagans (11/16) and Joan Stiles (11/18). Back to the regular
Monday & Thursday schedule next week.

Special Membership Offer: The Jazz Session is member-supported, so if
you like what you hear, please join. The next two people who join at the
middle or top level (yearly or monthly) will receive guitarist Anthony
Wilson's new DVD/CD set Seasons. This set captures a unique live
performance by Wilson along with Steve Cardenas, Julian Lage and Chico
Pinheiro, performing on a quartet of custom guitars built by John
Monteleone. http://thejazzsession.com/join

Concert Note: Andrea Wolper, my guest on Monday's show, is playing two
CD release gigs. The first is on Wednesday, 11/16 at 7 p.m. at Zinc Bar
in NYC. Then she's at Trumpets in Montclair, NJ, on Sunday, 11/20 at
7:30 p.m.

Widget: If you add AAJ's The Jazz Session widget to your site, let me
know and I'll mention you in this newsletter. Thanks to
http://dclivemusic.com for adding it. Get the widget: http://bit.ly/o4LjvZ

New Poems: "Tohoku" http://bit.ly/tFuxVC and "Rivera's The Uprising"
http://bit.ly/t3shYK

Twitter: Earlier this year I was named by the LA Times as one of 25 arts
& culture people to follow on Twitter. Think they're nuts? Judge for
yourself: http://twitter.com/jasondcrane

Next Week: Mike Baggetta (Monday, 11/21) & Amir ElSaffar (Thursday, 11/24).

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
THIS WEEK ON THE JAZZ SESSION
*********************************

TJS #323: Andrea Wolper. Vocalist Andrea Wolper's new CD is Parallel
Lives (Jazzed Media, 2011). In this interview, Wolper talks about her
unfettered and very personal approach to song choice and performance;
how poetry influences her work; and her parallel life as an activist for
social justice. SHOW AVAILABLE NOW.

TJS #324: Tim Hagans. Trumpeter Tim Hagans' new CD is The Moon Is
Waiting. In this interview, Hagans talks about his special relationship
with his drummer of choice; how he worked with a choreographer to write
some of the music on the new album; and how he's evolved over the years
as a composer for large and small ensembles. SHOW AVAILABLE 11/16/11.

TJS #325: Joan Stiles. Pianist Joan Stiles' new CD is Three Musicians
(2011), a trio session featuring drummer Matt Wilson and saxophonist
Joel Frahm. In this interview, Stiles talks about playing without a
bassist; why she wanted to make a trio record; and how her visual art
informs her music and vice versa.  SHOW AVAILABLE 11/18/11.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/jasondcrane

RSS Feed: http://thejazzsession.com/feed/?category_name=podcast

iTunes: itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast