[JPL] Promotion people, a rant

onthebeach at aol.com onthebeach at aol.com
Tue Nov 15 18:01:32 EST 2011

allow me to weigh in, and quote Peter Drucker to begin:
"The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer
  so well the product or service fits him and sells itself."
this also includes understanding, as matthias points out, that not every release is going to work
 for every station...or any station perhaps.

this dovetails in to something i alluded to recently:  THERE ARE SOME WEAK-ASS promotion people out there,
bordering on "thieves".  some with rather popular, high-profiles.  record promotion can be augmented
with email but nothing replaces speaking with the other person.  and a promotion person provides a service
for which their client pays them.  while the client must understand there can be no guarantees regarding success,
at minimum, the promoter must respect their client and the money...they must earn the money by
MAKING REAL EFFORT AND BY COMMUNICATING (PROVIDING FEEDBACK) TO THE CLIENT.

i recently had a consulting client who couldnt connect with my recommended promoter.  the way this artist was treated
borders on RIPPED OFF: no meaningful feedback, no quotes, no track information.  shakey, inconsistent tracking sheets
that to a professional eye looked made up.  even worse? this promoter wouldnt take phone calls and essentially blew off
the client's request via email and gave the absolute minimal answer when and if they responded.

this particular artist gave the promoter something to work with: a track record with some upper half of the chart titles;
some notable guest artists, some really solid music compatible with jazz radio AND was already bubbling under the chart!
(oh yeah and the  had titles and times in all the right places).

this promoter so lacked professionalism and respect for this client THEY SHOULD BE OUTED!  every promoter must understand
what they take on, and importantly the CO$T$ to the artist.  they commit a couple grand to pay you + the cost of sample CDs,
mailers and postage.  times are tough for everybody.  if an artist delivers a project that is embraced by dozens of reporters,
at the minimum they deserve to know what tracks are getting spun and they should walk away from the campaign with at least
a couple of notable quotes to add to their press kit, web site, social networks etc.

i wish i could wave a magic wand and BANISH the few miserly greedy promoters.  the good guys and gals would have a little more pie to share and would be doing ok. if you are a service provider, the client always comes first!

bright moments,
ricky schultz
www.jazzconsultant.com