[JPL] Promotion people, a rant

Jane Dashow jazzzdog at nyc.rr.com
Wed Nov 16 16:35:43 EST 2011

Here here Mark!

Jane Dashow

-----Original Message-----
From: jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com
[mailto:jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com] On Behalf Of Mark Rini
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:28 PM
To: jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
Subject: Re: [JPL] Promotion people, a rant

Ricky,

By the lack of replies, it seems that this is something most would rather
not discuss. As a long time radio promoter, it is, to say the least, very
disturbing to hear this again.

We've been contacted by a few labels/artists ourselves that had similar
experiences as you described with certain other promoters. One well known
and one I wasn't familiar with  Not returning a clients call, one who has
paid you good money, is bullshit and creates a stigma that all of the other
legit  records reps have to deal with.

I think it would be in poor form for one promoter to out another, as it
could be misconstrued as sour grapes, but I do think that person(s) should
be held accountable, so as far as I'm concerned...they should be outed by
the burned client . I know Josh and I, as well as a few others out there
who are legit, work too damn hard for someone to tarnish the image of what
we do. Artists and labels deserve to know this info.

While I don't think any promoter can guarantee spectacular chart results
as I said to you off list, the effort should be a given. We're dealing with
someone's art, passion and livelihood. Respect for it is mandatory.

Thanks for having the "stones" to keep bringing this up.

Mark

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 3:01 PM, <onthebeach at aol.com> wrote:

> allow me to weigh in, and quote Peter Drucker to begin:
> "The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer
>  so well the product or service fits him and sells itself."
> this also includes understanding, as matthias points out, that not every
> release is going to work
>  for every station...or any station perhaps.
>

> this dovetails in to something i alluded to recently:  THERE ARE SOME
> WEAK-ASS promotion people out there,
> bordering on "thieves".  some with rather popular, high-profiles.  record
> promotion can be augmented
> with email but nothing replaces speaking with the other person.  and a
> promotion person provides a service
> for which their client pays them.  while the client must understand there
> can be no guarantees regarding success,
> at minimum, the promoter must respect their client and the money...they
> must earn the money by
> MAKING REAL EFFORT AND BY COMMUNICATING (PROVIDING FEEDBACK) TO THE
CLIENT.

> i recently had a consulting client who couldnt connect with my recommended
> promoter.  the way this artist was treated
> borders on RIPPED OFF: no meaningful feedback, no quotes, no track
> information.  shakey, inconsistent tracking sheets
> that to a professional eye looked made up.  even worse? this promoter
> wouldnt take phone calls and essentially blew off
> the client's request via email and gave the absolute minimal answer when
> and if they responded.
>

> this particular artist gave the promoter something to work with: a track
> record with some upper half of the chart titles;
> some notable guest artists, some really solid music compatible with jazz
> radio AND was already bubbling under the chart!
> (oh yeah and the  had titles and times in all the right places).
>

> this promoter so lacked professionalism and respect for this client THEY
> SHOULD BE OUTED!  every promoter must understand
> what they take on, and importantly the CO$T$ to the artist.  they commit a
> couple grand to pay you + the cost of sample CDs,
> mailers and postage.  times are tough for everybody.  if an artist
> delivers a project that is embraced by dozens of reporters,
> at the minimum they deserve to know what tracks are getting spun and they
> should walk away from the campaign with at least
> a couple of notable quotes to add to their press kit, web site, social
> networks etc.
>

> i wish i could wave a magic wand and BANISH the few miserly greedy
> promoters.  the good guys and gals would have a little more pie to share
> and would be doing ok. if you are a service provider, the client always
> comes first!
>

> bright moments,
> ricky schultz
> www.jazzconsultant.com

Brooklyn
> > representing a Russian vocalist
> > who I think is simply very far below average....
> >

> > Matthias
> >
> > Matthias Kirsch
> > Head of Music
> > JazzRadio 106.8 Berlin and www.jazzradio.net