[JPL] PLAYLIST: Continuum - A Journey Through Jazz: "Autt tumn Serenade"

Jazzevangelist scott at soulandjazz.com
Thu Nov 17 14:41:31 EST 2011

Soulandjazz.com Presents:
Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz
Episode 64: "Autumn Serenade"

Welcome to another episode of Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz wherein I take you on a weekly excursion through various styles, eras, genres and moods of jazz in all its glorious incarnations . . . and on this leg of the journey, it’s all about Autumn.

Here it is, cool, crisp, colorful and ready to drop: http://tinyurl.com/6wd9e7f

Autumn just sounds and feels like jazz. It has a rather intangible, immediate and nostalgic feeling that is captured perfectly by straight ahead, melodic, mainstream jazz. The whole essence of autumn feels like a descending chord structure written in a minor key – not depressing, but thoughtful . . . not dark or cold – but warm, inviting, cozy & romantic.

Thus I present the sounds of Autumn jazz through the decades, as interpreted by some of its greatest practitioners . . . starting in the 1940’s with Django Reinhardt, Woody Herman Orchestra (feat. Stan Getz) and Charlie Parker . . . moving on to Autumn in the 1950’s with Stan Getz, Milt Jackson and Lou Donaldson . . . carrying on into the 1960’s with Dave Brubeck, Lennie Tristano, and Miles Davis . . . Stan Kenton and His Orchestra provide something from the ’70s . . . and we close out the season with more recent music from Ray Brown, Fred Haas, and something completely different from Parov Stelar.

It’s an hour of swirling colors, relaxation, and the cool crisp sounds of jazz that will make you want to curl up next to a fire with someone you love – or maybe all alone with a hot beverage and a book . . . or put it in your iPod and take it for a walk or a drive.

As always, I would love to hear from you – send your requests and any questions you might have to Scott at SoulandJazz.com. I always appreciate your suggestions & comments. You can also converse with me via social media on Facebook & Twitter by searching for The Jazz Evangelist.

Agape ya’ll,
J. Scott Fugate, ‘The Jazz Evangelist’

PLAYLIST: Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz #64: "Autumn Serenade"

Artist – Track – Album – Year

Django Reinhardt - Songe D’Automne - Classic Roots Jazz: Django Reinhardt Vol. 1 - 1947
Woody Herman Orchestra (feat. Stan Getz) - Early Autumn - Keeper of the Flame - 1948
Charlie Parker - Autumn In New York - Charlie Parker with Strings: The Master Takes - 1949
Stan Getz - Tis Autumn - Stan Getz Plays - 1952
Milt Jackson - Autumn Breeze - Milt Jackson Quartet - 1954
Lou Donaldson - Autumn Nocturne - Blues Walk - 1958
Dave Brubeck - Autumn In Washington Square - Jazz Impressions of New York - 1964
Lennie Tristano	 - Lullaby of the Leaves - Concert in Copenhagen - 1965
Miles Davis - Fall - Nefertiti - 1968
Stan Kenton and His Orchestra - Theme For Autumn - Stan Kenton and His Orchestra Live at Butler University - 1972
Ray Brown	 - Autumn Leaves - Autumn Leaves - 2007
Fred Haas - Autumn - Autumn	- 2010
Parov Stelar - Autumn Song - Seven and Storm - 2005

For more information on who we are and what we do:
http://www.soulandjazz.com/about/

Product may be submitted for airplay consideration to:
J. Scott Fugate
Soulandjazz.com / Jazz Evangelist Promotions
309 Oakland Drive
Gainesville, GA
30501