[JPL] PLAYLIST: Interview w/Francisco Mela + Songs For & About Birds on The Vinyl Side of Midnight (89.7FM WLNZ)

Mike Stratton dreamtrane at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 17:39:57 EST 2011

Francisco Mela Interview + Songs For and About Birds
by The Vinyl Side of Midnight on Sunday, November 20, 2011 at 2:49pm
11/20/11

We open tonight's show with an interview with the new hot drummer,
Francisco Mela. He drums with Joe Lovano's Us Five, plays with the McCoy
Tyner Trio and has a couple of ace solo albums out on Half Note Records,
the latest is "Tree of Life". Next we play with the Thanksgiving theme:
Songs For and About Birds, including Charlie "Bird" Parker.

Here's the playlist:

Artist - Song Title; ALBUM (Label)

Francisco Mela - Tierra and Fuego; CIRIO (Half Note)
Joe Lovano Us Five - Dewey Square; BIRD SONGS (Blue Note)
Francisco Mela & Cuban Safari - (artist picks); TREE OF LIFE (Half Note)
interview w/Francisco Mela

Songs For & About Birds
Reuben Wilson Trio - Back At The Chicken Shack; REVISTED (American
Showplace)
Dee Bell - The Peacocks; SAGACIOUS GRACE (Laser Records)
Neil Gordon Trio - Front Burner; IT TAKES THREE

Betty Baxter - Songbird; LOVE REMEMBERS (Satin Sounds)
organissimo - My Sweet Potato Pie; GROOVADELPHIA (Big O Records)
Rez Abbasi - Thanks For Giving; INVOCATION (Enja)

Yo Yo Ma & company - Quarter Chicken Dark; THE GOAT RODEO SESSIONS (Sony)
The Tierney Sutton Band - The Eagle and Me; AMERICAN ROAD (BFM Jazz)
Brad Mehldau - The Falcon Will Fly Again; HIGHWAY RIDER (Nonesuch Records)

James Moody - Bye Bye Blackbird; 4A; (IPO)
Paul Cohen - I Get The Neck of the Chicken; I WANT YOU BACK
Brother Jack McDuff - Cold Duck Time; BEST OF... (Concord)

Various - Three Little Birds; PFC2 (Hear Music)
Cassandra Wilson - Black Crow; BLUE LIGHT TIL DAWN (Blue Note)

Gregory Porter - Skylark; WATER
Brad Mehldau - Blackbird; DEREGULATING JAZZ (Warner Bros.)

John Hollenbeck - The Bird With The Coppery Keen Claws; JOYS & DESIRES
(Intuition)
Maria Schneider Orchestra - Cerulean Skies; SKY BLUE (Artist Share)

Jimmy Smith - Confirmation; HOUSE PARTY (Blue Note)
Charlie Parker - Funky Blues; BEST OF... (Verve)

Listen Sunday nights 9-midnight; EST; tune in 89.7FM WLNZ in the
mid-Michigan area or http://www.lcc.edu/radio/