[JPL] Randy Brecker week on MOJA Radio

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Nov 20 19:56:02 EST 2011

Russ Davis
Voice of America
MOJA Radio
www.mojaradio.com
davispro at nyc.rr.com

Russ Davis here, and this week you’ll hear all our funky business as usual but we’ll be presenting a very special week-long celebration of the birthday of one of the all-time great MOJANS…the incredible trumpeter, composer, bandleader and multi-award winner RANDY BRECKER! We’ll begin things with an hour focusing on Randy, his brother Michael and the other New York based hotshots that were The Brecker Brothers on Monday With The Masters then close out the week with Randy solo on Monday Masters on November 28th, the day after his birthday. In between it’s all about Randy with our week of special features. You’ll hear Randy in four different live settings on Live @ MOJALand. We’ll give you music from Randy’s newest release titled The Jazz Ballad Song Book with the Danish Radio Big Band as part of this week’s edition of The All New Music Revue. You’ll hear the greatest Fusion Hits of The Brecker Brothers on Fusion Friday, and spend the day with Randy talking turkey on Saturday’s Words & Music. Plus you’ll also get our weekly features The Attack of The Jazzy Jambands and This Is Acid Jazz.Now, here’s what’s up this week…

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (21-27 November 2011)

This Monday, November 21st, we’ll present another edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. And this time we’ll feature an hour of one of the most popular and influential bands in modern jazz history, THE BRECKER BROTHERS! You’ll hear the music of Randy and Michael with the illustrious lineup that included, among others, David Sanborn, Steve Khan, George Duke, Will Lee, Don Grolnick, and Joe Beck. You’ll hear from their early days in the heyday of the fusion era in the 1970’s to their cool, electric groove days of the Return of The Brecker Brothers phase of the 1990’s. Plus Randy and Michael will give us a look at their tremendous career in their own words. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we place our MOJA spotlight on one of MOJA’s greatest groups, THE BRECKER BROTHERS!

In the Mid-1980’s when fusion had faded and the softer side of things began to permeate the radio with the emergence of contemporary jazz, a fun, up and funky trend sprang out of the clubs and concert halls of England that brought new life to jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen to our special feature THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio! You can hear it twice every Tuesday at 9 AM and again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST as part of the Sunday Specials.  The phrase Acid Jazz came from the famous English DJ Gilles Peterson and each week you’ll hear not only the music of the English groups he discovered, but artists from the USA and around the world that joined in on a movement whose repercussions still reverberate today, and the words of Mr. Peterson himself! So if you can’t get enough of that funky stuff come and get it on THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio!

Back in the day when rock bands like The Grateful Dead and The Allman Brothers Band took their songs on long, improvised journeys and in essence incorporated jazz elements, the stage was set for what became a major part of what we call MOJA…jambands and especially those who set out primarily to make jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen five times each week to the newest feature on MOJA Radio, ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS! You can hear it at NOON East/9 AM West every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, plus twice on Sunday at NOON Eastern/9 AM Pacific and Midnight EAST/9 PM West as part of the Sunday Specials.  Following The Dead & The Allmans came Phish then grunge from Seattle.  At the same time American Acid Jazz artists like Karl Denson & Robert Walter started attracting the same fans. Those fans began to follow Galactic and other new artists from NOLA, Medeski, Martin & Wood, John Scofield and the great artists of the North West like Skerik, and San Francisco-area groove artists like Charlie Hunter & Will Bernard! It’s jazz mixed with prog rock and punk, funk and groove, heavy metal and alternative rock. The fans of this music don’t need lyrics, they need the groove and you’ll get it all if you join us for ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS five times each week on MOJA Radio!

It’s Randy Brecker Week here on MOJA Radio and part of the celebration happens on LIVE @ MOJALand which you can hear four times each week here on MOJA Radio as we invite you to join us inside the world's only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen Wednesday morning at 9 AM/6 AM Pacific and again Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific.  You can hear it again twice on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM Eastern, as part of the Sunday Specials. This week, as we celebrate the 66th birthday of one of the all-time greats of MOJA, join us as we present RANDY BRECKER ON STAGE!  Randy has been involved in hundreds of projects and we’ll hear him in four different live settings, with his brother Michael and Europe’s WDR Big Band from the Grammy-winning album “Some Skunk Funk,” with Frank Zappa at the Palladium in New York in December of 1976, with Bill Evans and The Soul-Bop Band live in Europe, and of course with the legendary Brecker Brothers Band.  It’s RANDY BRECKER ON STAGE on this week's edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

Join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE every Thursday at 9 AM East/6 AM West with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM ET.  This week we’ll give you music from Randy Brecker’s latest release recorded with Europe’s great Danish Radio Big Band on the album “The Jazz Ballad Song Book,” featuring two new Brecker compositions. As part of our week-long celebration of Randy’s 66th birthday this week we’ll give you a special themed edition of The ANMR as we give you an hour of the best trumpet releases of the year. You’ll hear the import from Frenchman Erik Truffaz called “In Between,” followed by Dave Douglas with one of his bands, Brass Ecstasy and the collection titled “Rare Metals.” Then we’ll hear from Tim Hagans’s  album titled “The Moon Is Waiting,” then we’ll close it out with Steven Bernstein’s latest with his band The Millennial Territory Orchestra titled “MTO Plays SLY” featuring the jazzification of the music of Sly & The Family Stone. To hear the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week and this week it’s the best trumpet releases of the year! Here’s the new music you’ll hear this week…

ARTIST…TITLE…ALBUM (LABEL)

·       Randy Brecker & DR Big Band…Foregone Conclusion…The Jazz Ballad Song Book (Red Dot)
·       Randy Brecker & DR Big Band…I Talk To The Trees…The Jazz Ballad Song Book (Red Dot)
·       Erik Truffaz…Lost In Bogota…In Between (Blue Note/EMI France)
·       Erik Truffaz…BD One…In Between (Blue Note/EMI France)
·       Dave Douglas…Thread…Rare Metals (Greenleaf Music)
·       Dave Douglas…Night Growl…Rare Metals (Greenleaf Music)
·       Tim Hagans…First Jazz…The Moon Is Waiting (Palmetto Records)
·       Tim Hagans…Boo…The Moon Is Waiting (Palmetto Records)
·       Steven Bernstein & MTO…Sly Notions…MTO Plays SLY (Royal Potato Family)
·       Steven Bernstein & MTO…Thank You-Africa…MTO Plays SLY (Royal Potato Family)

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.  This week we’ll continue a week-long celebration of the birthday of Randy Brecker on Sunday, November 27th, with a special feature we call “THE BRECKER BROTHERS GREATEST FUSION HITS.” When Randy Brecker was putting together a band for a solo project, record executive Steve Backer told him he’d sign the band on the spot if he called it The Brecker Brothers.  An instant Fusion supergroup was formed with a roster filled with Randy & Michael and a host of New York hotshots like David Sanborn, Don Grolnick, George Duke, Steve Khan, Will Lee, Hiram Bullock, Marcus Miller, Steve Gadd and many more who brought New York style and Philly funk together in what became known as Heavy Metal BeBop.  It’s “THE BRECKER BROTHERS GREATEST FUSION HITS,” on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

This Saturday, November 26th, you’re invited to a birthday party for one of MOJA’s most beloved and revered artists as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one titled “HAPPY BIRTHDAY RANDY BRECKER!” There’s a lot to talk about when you look back at the astounding career of the great Randy Brecker, from his beginnings growing up in Philadelphia in a musical household with his younger brother Michael, his first breaks with Blood, Sweat & Tears and Horace Silver followed by the formation of The Brecker Brothers, who exploded on the fusion scene in New York with a host of all star players. Then we’ll talk to Randy about his many session projects with other artists and of course his varied solo works that have garnered him 4 Grammy Awards of his own.  Plus we’ll look forward with Randy to his upcoming Brecker Brothers Band Reunion project on the day before his 66th birthday. Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). Join us for “HAPPY BIRTHDAY RANDY BRECKER,” on this week’s WORDS & MUSIC.

Twice every Sunday listen for four of our most popular special features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9 AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on THIS IS ACID JAZZ followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside the world’s only imaginary modern jazz club for rare, live performances on LIVE @ MOJALAND. Then we’ll wrap it all up at Noon and Midnight East/9 AM & 9 PM West with an encore airing of an hour of Jamband Jazz with ATTACK OF THE JAZZY JAMBANDS. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday from 9 AM to 1 PM Eastern, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to 1 AMEastern/6-10 PM Pacific on MOJA Radio!

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (28 November-4 December 2011)

This Monday, November 28th, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday” edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. And this time we’ll focus on a multi-Grammy Award winner, bandleader, composer, fusion pioneer and one of the most popular trumpeters to ever pick up the instrument, the great, RANDY BRECKER on the day after his 66th birthday! Join Russ Davis as Randy covers every aspect of his amazing career from his early days in straight ahead jazz with Horace Silver and rock with Blood, Sweat & Tears to the formation of one of the super-groups of fusion, The Brecker Brothers.  You’ll hear about all the many facets of his solo career too. You’ll hear the stories and of course we’ll give you an hour of his incredible music. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we place our MOJA spotlight on and wish a very happy birthday to the great RANDY BRECKER!

Russ Davis
MoJaRadio
“Jazz In The Present Tense!”
www.mojaradio.com